2 - arrival

John B's place looked exactly the same as it had three years ago.

the weathered wooden building still stood strong, with old surfboards and rusted firepits scattered around outside.

i got out of my car and climbed up the front steps, walking through the porch, then knocked on the door.

silence.

i knocked again, harder.

light footsteps padded towards the door and i stood back.

the door opened to reveal a girl with light brown skin and curly brown hair.

"can i help you?" she asked.

i assumed she was one of my cousin's many hook-ups.

"yeah," i tried to look past her. "is John B around?"

"depends who wants to know," she eyed the suitcases behind me.

"tell him Mia's here,"

the girl looked at me oddly before turning and yelling out. "anyone heard of a 'Mia'?"

"shut up, Kie! i'm trying to sleep!" a male voice that wasn't John B called.

"what does she look like?" another deep voice shouted.

the girl—Kie—turned back to me. "blonde hair, brown eyes, pretty tall with freckles."

"let her in,"

i walked through the door and into a dimly lit living-room-cross-bedroom with a bed made up on the couch.

Kie led me through the room and into an open plan kitchen and dining room.

three boys sat at the circular table.

Pope Hayward, who'd been friends with my cousin since time began, a hot blonde guy, and John B.

he put the spoon he was using down and all but knocked the table over to wrap me in a huge bear hug.

"Mia?! what are you doing here?!" he shook his head, his mouth still full of cereal.

"i missed you too much... i was going crazy with despair, so i booked a plane ticket last week and here i am!" i spread my arms wide.

"this is mad!" he laughed. "you're mad!"

i shrugged, faking modesty.

"let me introduce you to everyone," he said with his arm around my shoulders.

"the moody girl that let you in is Kiara, but everyone calls her Kie."

"no, you lot call me Kie. " she muttered, sitting down in John B's chair.

"Mia's one of us, so she'll call you Kie too." he turned to me. "sorry, she's not usually like this."

Kie rolled her eyes.

"you know Pope," he gestured and i nodded, smiling at the boy.

"and this handsome devil is-"

"JJ Maybank," he stood up and held his hand out.

i shook it and he grinned.

"calm down, JJ." Pope rolled his eyes, grabbing the back of his friend's shirt and pulling him back onto his chair.

"where's Big John?" i frowned.

my uncle was usually first to open the door.

"he's gone to Cuba for five months, a friend of his found a shipwreck and needs his help with it." my cousin pulled a chair out for me.