15 - good Mia

"what box?" JJ asked.

John B hit his back.

"ouch!" JJ turned around. "i'm just saying, we don't have a box."

"if you don't cooperate," the other man withdrew his gun. "we're going to have to be a little more persuasive."

"there's no need for that, man." JJ took a step forwards.

the gun was instantly aimed at his head and i grabbed the back of his shirt, pulling him back.

my hand found his and he squeezed it tight, running his thumb over my knuckles.

"give us the box and nobody'll get hurt."

"who are you?" Pope appeared over my shoulder.

the man i hit grinned. "the guys you shouldn't mess with."

i stifled a laugh, clapping my hand over my mouth.

"something funny, Princess?" the other man said.

i shook my head. "what are your names, is what my friend meant."

they ignored me, looking around for the box.

"if you don't tell me i'll make my own names up. i'm great at nicknames, aren't i John."

John B's eyes lit up and he set to work slowly and subtly.

"i'll call you Freak," i pointed to the smaller man. "because you're freakishly short."

Freak's head snapped in my direction.

"and you can be Tubby," i pointed to the other man. "because you're a bit... you know."

"hey, be nice," John B called from behind me. "don't body shame the poor guy."

i knew he needed more time.

i sighed loudly and pulled a thinking face.

"what about... Lumber?" i smirked. "you know, 'cause you can't really run, you kind of just... lumber along."

Lumber clicked the safety off his gun and aimed it at me.

"hey," JJ stepped in front of me. "there's no need for that."

"here!" John B came forward. "don't shoot her, just take the box."

Freak snatched it from my cousin. "you kids have no idea what you're getting into."

"if you have any sense then stay out of this." Lumber turned away. "i hope we don't meet again."

JJ stayed in front of me until the two men were way out of sight.

"come on," Kie pushed past us. "let's go home."

JJ held my hand the whole way home, only letting go once we were safely inside.

he headed upstairs and i was torn between following him and finding out what was in the box.

instinct took over and i took the stairs two at a time, heading for his room.

i knocked on the door but there was no reply.

"Sandy?" i called. "it's Mia."

nothing.

"i'm coming in," i warned, pushing the door open.

he stood by the window with his forehead pressed against the glass, unmoving.

"JJ?" i asked tentatively. "are you ok?"

"i'm fine," he said.

"you know you can tell me if anything is wrong." i walked towards him. "i can help you... probably."

he made a sound somewhere between a laugh and a sob.

i stopped, suddenly unsure of what to do.

"do you want me to come back later?" i started towards the door.

"no," he mumbled.

"okay," i frowned. "i'll just... sit down."

i sat on the bed watching his back.

there was a heavy silence in the room that was impossible to ignore.

i started to tell JJ i was going downstairs to see what was in the box but the moment i opened my mouth he turned around and all the words died on my lips.

his face was streaked with tears and his blue eyes were brimming with more.

"i was afraid," he whispered. "when he had that gun on you... i was so fucking scared."

i couldn't move.

his gaze immobilised me.

i sat on the bed and shook my head slowly, suddenly feeling as if there was barbed wire wrapped around my throat.

"you were scared for me?" i didn't understand... i couldn't... i wouldn't.

"i don't know," he made no attempt to wipe his tears away. "i guess i'm scared of losing you."

i didn't want to voice my thoughts but it was as if i had no control. "but we barely know each other."

"i know," he ran a shaky hand through his hair. "i can't understand it." his tears started again.

i got up and pulled him close to me, holding his twitchy body.

he folded his arms around my waist, resting his head on mine, while i wrapped my arms around his neck, leaning my head on his chest and weaving my fingers into his sandy blonde hair.

"you're good, Mia." i felt his jaw move on my head. "all the good things in my life leave as quickly as they came."

i kissed the material of his shirt which covered his heart. "i'm not leaving. not if you don't want me to."

i kissed his collarbone and his neck and his cheeks, tasting the salt of his tears.

i kissed the corner of his lips, and then i kissed him fully, gently.

wind blew through the open window and the linen curtains enveloped us.

birds sang outside and the ocean's waved washed up on the beach not so far away.

i pulled away slowly and stared up at him. "you have pretty eyes,"

he said nothing, simply gazing down at me with a look i couldn't quite decipher.

"tell me why you really came here," he touched my face gently. "tell me what you did."