20 - everything

a/n
guys i strongly dislike this part but i'm going to have to deal with it. pls understand Mia isn't an abuser or anything

before i could comprehend my hand closed into a fist and i punched John B square in the jaw.

his head snapped to the side and stayed there for a while before he slowly nodded, rubbing his chin.

"you really want to do this?" he asked.

"i'd like nothing more."

"on the beach then,"

"fine," i headed to the door.

"what's going on?" JJ called.

"it's a family thing," John B replied icily.

"am i not your family now?" JJ said wickedly.

i didn't bother to hide my smirk.

"stay out of it." was all my cousin told him.

the sand was already hot beneath my feet as i balanced my weight on the ground.

"tap out whenever you're ready." John B copied my stance.

i didn't bother with a snide remark, instead i lunged for my cousin, knocking him to the ground.

he easily flipped us over and i banished the thought of JJ from my mind, kicking John B hard in the balls.

he doubled over, allowing me to push him off and throw a handful of sand in his face.

he coughed and spat the sand out of his mouth, wiping his face with the back of his hand.

in an instant he grabbed my hair and pulled me up to my feet.

"what the fuck?!" JJ wrenched John B away from me.

"i told you to stay out of it!"

"how can you hit her?! she's a girl!"

i raised my eyebrows pointedly over JJ's shoulder, watching the storm in my cousin's eyes brew.

"that never stopped her before," he yelled.

"what?!"

"she fights over any disagreement!"

JJ turned to me and i shrugged. "i can hold my own."

"i gathered," he turned back to John B.
"that doesn't mean you can fight her though."

"so i'm just meant to stand here while she attacks me?"

"you shouldn't have suggested this in the first place!"

"it's her fucking tradition!"

i rolled my eyes and walked towards the steps, sick of John B.

"this is what she always does!" he yelled triumphantly. "she runs away from all her problems!"

i couldn't see anything except dark, dark red.

i turned back and ran at my cousin, tackling him to the ground and pressing my arm against his neck.

"i was being the bigger person, you dick." i gritted my teeth.

strong, gentle hands pulled me off of my cousin and placed me on the sand.

"come on," JJ guided me up the stairs, back up to the house.

i headed for my bathroom and turned the shower on, leaving the water cold.

i folded the shirt i wore and put it next to the sink and stepped under the icy stream of water.

i watched JJ enter the bathroom through the cloudy glass off the shower.

he leaned on the sink, watching me in turn.

"what?" i asked.

"why do you fight everyone, wife?" there was no hiding the smile in his voice.

"my brothers fight anything out, why should i be any different, husband?"

"because you're a g-"

"if you say 'because i'm a girl' i'll fight you as well."

"i'd love to see that," he laughed.

i splashed him with cold water and he jumped back, banging his head on the mirror.

"hey!" he rubbed the back of his head.

"sorry," i grinned.

"you're not sorry," JJ stated.

"i am!" i protested. "just a bit."

JJ walked into the shower fully clothed, folding me into his arms and holding me against his body.

i tilted my head up, blinking against the droplets of water landing on my face.

JJ kissed the tip of my nose before resting his chin on my wet hair.

"thank you," i said against his chest.

"for what?"

"being here."

he didn't say anything for a long while, standing under the water.

"nobody was ever there for me," he said eventually.

"i'm here,"

"that's now. i mean then." he took a breath. "the Pogues didn't... don't know what to say or do when i turn up half dead at their houses. they'd just take me to the hospital."

"oh," i didn't know what to say.

"thank you, too."

"what for?"

"everything,"

a/n pt.2
started writing this, had a mental breakdown, and here we are. i hate the start of this part but we're all going to have to deal with it because i honestly cannot be asked to re-write it.
thanks for 3.5k reads tho, love u all xoxo