Chapter 17

Killian invited the whole pack to play a huge game of capture the flag, with a pot luck dinner at the end. That's how he was going to honor his parents. His dad loved the game, and they both loved bringing the pack together.

Those who didn't want to play were scattered around in chairs, getting the food ready and just hanging out.

Mickie and Killian were captains. Mickie got to choose first because Killian had picked first last time.

"I pick Naomi," Mickie said.

"What?" Killian asked, stunned. "You can't-"

Naomi laughed softly, muffling it with her hand.

"Why not?" the Beta challenged.

"Are you okay with this? He's just messing around. You can stick with me. You've never played before, and-"

"It's okay," she whispered, a cute grin lightening her features. "We're going to win."

"I'm serious. You don't have to."

"Are you two done?" Mickie interrupted.

Killian rolled his eyes, watching Naomi moved to his best friend's side, instead of his. Envy wound his gut, but Mickie was smart. He need his mate was his weakness, and he knew he was going to use that against him.

He would be strong, like Naomi who looked quite tense standing without him. He did his best to send her a reassuring look.

They continued to pick until each team had about twenty people. Their flags were in place and they were ready to get started.

Killian stopped Mickie before he could follow his team into the woods. "I swear to god if anything happens to her."

Mickie grinned, "Relax, and enjoy getting your ass beat for once."

Naomi wandered the path on her team's territory. Her job was simple: stop Killian. Mickie told her he played the same way every game. He had most of his team guard while he retrieved the other flag. He was the fastest and strongest after all.

"Come on now, princess. It's not too late to end this."

She spun around, finding Kill watching her. She felt her heart flutter with excitement.

"We're going to win," she insisted, although her resolve was weakening as he stepped closer, his arms crossed across his chest.

"Are you sure about that?"

She eyed the flowing creek next to him. She wasn't sure she was going to be able to stop him any other way

"Kill," she murmured, her tone warm and sweet. "You're so handsome, you know that?"

She stepped closer and he took a step back, just like she knew he would. She licked her lips, peeking up at him. His eyes were blown wide. "I think I want-" she reached like she was going to grip his shirt, but instead gave his chest a shove.

Poor, unsuspecting Killian stumbled back into the creek, losing his balance and falling onto his butt into the freezing water.

He could not believe she had just teased him like that.

She laughed, "Are you okay? I'm sorry."

He gripped her leg, pulling her feet in so she could feel what she had done to him.

She squealed, "No, it's cold. It's too cold."

"Yeah, it's cold, you little minx. I can't believe you pushed me in here," he huffed playfully, standing up. He reached for her, pulling her to his chest.

"Stop it. Let me go. You're all wet," she protested, unable to stop the joyful laughter. She squirmed, but was unable to break from his grasp.

A howl broke them from their fun and Killian cursed. "That was Mickie. You guys won."

"Ha," she stuck out her tongue, looking quite adorable. He couldn't resist, bending his head a capturing it between his teeth playfully.

She jerked away, her cheeks turning red. "That is so gross."

"That's what you get. I can't believe this," he sighed dramatically, helping her out of the water. "We need to get you some dry shoes, baby."

He held out his hand and she clasped hers with his. She could hear the cheers from the field where all the food was. She could also smell the smoke of the bonfire and she wiggled her frozen toes in anticipation. Today was fun.

She tugged on Killian's fingers, like she always does when she wants his attention. He glanced down at her.

"I am sorry, and I do think you're handsome. I wasn't just saying that," she mumbled, feeling her cheeks flame again.

He stopped, cupping her cheeks so she met his eyes. "I promise I am not actually upset. It's just a game. I'm proud of you for playing against me your first time." His lips met hers gently, and her hands reached for his shirt, clutching the fabric between her fists.

They continued to walk.

"I think you're beautiful, Naomi, so brave and full of life. You are my everything. I am blessed to have you by my side," he added. "I wish my parents could have met you."

"They would be so proud of you, Kill."

He gave a soft smile, reaching his arm around her back. He was doing his best to ignore the cold clothes freezing his skin. He still couldn't believe she had tricked him today. He thought-

He shook his head. He didn't know that she would ever be ready for anything more than a few kisses, but she had surprised him a lot lately. The only thing that mattered was that she was happy and healthy, and the rest would fall into place.

It already was. This girl was his whole life. He was beyond happy they could grow together.