Chapter 18

There are certain downsides of having a mate. One of them is finding them soaking in a bath full of blood tinged water and not knowing what is going on.

The flowers that were so carefully picked were left forgotten on the ground as soon as Azriel saw Heart sitting in the bath and the water seemed to be turning red. He rushed to her side and cupped her face. Her wet hair were stuck to her face and she could barely open her eyes. Azriel pulled her to his side and she groaned in pain.

"I was gone for an hour. Don't tell me you hurt yourself in one hour." He frowned as he inspected her and found no injuries.

Heart whispered, "I didn't. My cycle started." She rested her forehead on his shoulder and took deep breaths. "This water is nice. Leave me here."

"You'll catch a cold." Azriel carefully collected her in his arms.

She hissed in pain and tried to get out of his grasp. "No. The water is practically boiling." She protested but Azriel wasn't having any of that.

"That doesn't mean you can just sleep in here." Azriel argued. "If you're wet for so long, you'll definitely catch a cold."

"Just ten more minutes then." Heart whined and weakly pushed him away.

He thought for a second and then said with finality, "Five. I will get you fresh clothes by then." He kissed the top of her head and she shooed him away. Keeping an eye on her still, Azriel warmed up her towel by the fire and spread out a black nightgown on the bed. She tried to avoid him again when Azriel tried to scoop her out of the warm water but Azriel managed to drag her out. Heart glared at him as he carried her to the bed and put her down. She lazily slipped into the thin nightgown and curled up in a ball on her side. Azriel hung the towel to dry and considered different ways to move heart to the middle of the bed without causing any pain. She had already buried her head under the thick blanket and he could hear her whining about her pain.

Slowly, she looked at him with one eye cracked open and poked his leg with her feet. Azriel hummed in response.

"My feet are freezing. I think they are going to fall off." She mumbled.

Azriel clicked his tongue and climbed on top of the bed. After much struggle, Heart managed to drag herself to a pillow with her mate's help.

"Should I call Majda?" He offered.

Heart shook her head and closed her eyes, "I just need to sleep."

"I don't think you can really sleep like that, Heart. But yes, please." Azriel mumbled as he slotted himself on her side. She slowly lifted her head and rested it on his chest. He pulled back her hair and squeezed her tighter against himself. Heart sighed when his broad hand ran down her back and rubbed soft circles onto her lower back. She snuggled closer and Azriel sank deeper into the mattress like he could melt with comfort.

"Are you sure you don't need majda?" He asked once again.

Heart replied softly, "No. I'm a medic as well. I'll tell you if I need something." She paused. "On that note, bring me my son."

Azriel smiled, "He's busy being a model older brother to Nyx. I'm sure he will come looking for you in a while."

"Oh." Heart pouted. "Did you help him pick flowers?"

"Yes." He immediately looked around. "I actually bought you some but dropped them when I saw you swimming in your own blood." He pointed at the floor. "There they are."

"I appreciate that. Just don't move now."

"I won't." He promised. "Pip was the one who picked them actually. I picked flowers for him that he must be now giving to Nyx."