Chapter 20

Downsides to having a child,

1. They go to school.

Downsides to having a child with a scholar as their mother,

1. They want to send the child to school no matter what.

Downsides to being a warrior and a parent,

1. Your idea of school includes violence to some degree.

When Pippor clung to Azriel's leg with tears pooling in his eyes, he waved his dagger carelessly, "But you are a teacher. Teach him."

"Azriel." Heart sighed. "Pip has to go to a proper school. I'll teach him all I can but he needs to interact with other kids his age."

"Right." He strapped the dagger back. "But why now?"

Heart frowned, "What do you mean? If not now, then when?"

"I'm just saying-" He pulled the teary-eyed boy into his lap and pouted with him. "-what if he gets sad?"

"I don't want to be sad." Pip said in a wobbly voice and The Shadowsinger pulled him closer while mouthing "You monster." at Heart.

She rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in exasperating. "Do what you want to do." She pointed her finger at him accusingly, "But I am sending him to school as soon as we return to the human realm."

Azriel frowned, "Why are you returned to the human  realm?"

"Why would I not?" Heart said with frustration.

"You have your family here, Pip loves everyone. Feyre, Nesta and Elaine all are here." He spoke. "And me."

She crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head, "Azriel I had a life before I met of you. I have barely spoken to my sisters for two months maybe. I'm not going to leave everything behind for them, you or anyone else." Her tone was stern and reminded Azriel of why she was a teacher. "I have to go back to the house where I spent my life. I have students, I have researchs I left unfinished. That is worth decades of my life. You can come with me if you want to." She shrugged with her last statement.

Azriel considered that for a while. "I have duties here in Prythian." He mumbled. "I can't leave. My duties require me to know everything, see everything. I can't be much of a spy if I'm not here to spy on people."

Heart took a deep breath and sat down by his side. "It's okay. We can work through it. Maybe you can visit when you are free because I can't fly."

Pup who had blinked back his tears, now placed his little palm on Azriel's face and with confused eyes said, "Are you going to leave us, shadow man? But you're my father." Panic crossed over his face.

"I know I am." He quickly replied. "And I'm not going to leave you."

Heart rubbed his back reassuringly, "Azriel isn't going to leave us, Pip. Sometimes he will have to work, like I work, and you will go to school or you can play."

"Like other kids." Azriel added.

"Oh." Pip said quietly. "But we will all live together?"

Azriel and Heart exchanged a look, "Yes." He replied. "You can look forward to learning more punches and kicks from me."

Pip's face lit up, "And uncle Cassian?"

"And uncle Cassian." Azriel stood up with Pip in his arms and Heart followed suit.

She held out her arms and Pip was passed over to her, "You want to practice now?" She referred to working towards bettering his control over his powers. Pip was making quick progress and Heart was hopeful but she didn't want him to skip a day.