Chapter 11

"Everyone welcome the Paladins of Voltron!"

Cheers and claps sounded throughout the area as all the Paladins stepped out from the castle-ship. All the aliens dragged everyone to the party and Lance laughed happily. He was ready for a grand time. For a while he, Pidge, and Hunk were stuck together, talking to anyone who came up to them but ultimately hung around each other. That was until Pidge got distracted from a flying machine and chased after it, leaving the two boys behind in the dust.

"Alright, Hunk, what d'ya say we head over to the food section now," Lance said, leaning against his eager friend.

The two raced to the food, tripping each other so one could get there before the other. Lance and Hunk piled their plates with food that looked and smelled good and not so discreetly bagged them away for later inspection. Hunk told him he would be back after he put the bag onto the caste-ship and Lance nodded, deciding it was time to make some new friends.

At first, he mingled around some until a man called him over. He bounced to him and introduced himself and the two began talking about Voltron. Lance could feel the man's excitement over speaking with the Blue Paladin and felt giddy inside. The alien called over some of his buddies and they all gawked at Lance, asking question after question after question. Eventually, he began to get dizzy from the crowding and excused himself.

He stumbled over to the beverages and poured himself some water. He leaned against the wall as he drank, trying to gain his bearings again. When he opened his eyes, he saw a girl looking at him a couple feet away but when eye contact was made, she smiled and walked up to him.

"Hello, Blue Paladin," she said, smiling sweetly.

For some reason, Lance got a weird vibe from her but who was he to deny someone the attention they wanted from him?

"Please, that's way too formal," he grinned, winking at her. "Just call me Lance."

The girl giggled and shuffled closer, telling him her name but it was something he would not remember. She noticed his face and giggled again. "If it makes it easier, you can just call me Jaxx."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Jaxx."

"The pleasure is all mine," she said and Lance felt the unease again.

What was it about her that made him feel anxious? She looked nice enough but the way she spoke and looked at him made him want to leave. He laughed, trying to lighten himself up.

"Oh, I'm sure. Ah, well, I should find my team. I haven't seen any of them in a while."

Jaxx pouted and placed her hand on his upper arm. "But we just got to meet! I saw you talking to that group earlier and now I want a turn. Please? At least for a bit?"

Lance began to feel bad, ignoring his initial feeling, and agreed to talk. They talked about Voltron before it turned to personal questions. Lance avoided the questions and tried to redirect the conversation but the girl wouldn't let up, touching his arm again when he changed the subject. Finally, she asked a question that made Lance slightly upset.

"What are you," she asked, reaching to the side to grab his tail.

He frowned, swishing his tail away so she couldn't touch it. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean," she giggled. "You look like the others but you're different."

"I'm human," he said, placing his cup down. He didn't want to talk about his appearance.

"No, you're not," she grumbled. "Come on. You can tell me what you are. I won't tell anyone."

Lance took a step off to the side, taking a quick glance around to find Hunk, or even Pidge. "It's not something that's a secret. I'm human. Something just happened to my body but I'm still human." He couldn't spot either of the two and looked back at Jaxx.