Chapter Two

It had been two days since the mall and he had produced a tail. The pain that came with it was terrible. At first his lower back ached then pain shot up through his spin. He dropped down on his side and almost screamed. He covered his mouth as he curled in on himself. It hurt so bad but he hushed himself until the pain went away. 

It didn't go away for almost an hour and when it had finally passed he lay there for an extra five minutes trying to catch his breath.

He had mostly avoided everyone and the others were getting worried. They had asked what was wrong but he just brushed them off saying it was a cold. Eventually Shiro had called in a group training session and everyone would see it was not just some cold.

He really didn't want them seeing what was happening to him, so Lance didn't put on his armor and, making sure his tail was underneath his shirt, headed down to the training room.

When he arrived, Shiro furrowed his brows and crossed his arms. "Where is your armor?"

"Where it usually is," Lance shrugged.

"Why?"

"Because." Because I can't hide my tail if I wear my suit.

"Lance," Shiro sighed, clearly frustrated.

"What," Lance snapped. He could feel the tip of his tail flick and prayed no one could see the movement under his clothes. "I can't fight if I'm sick."

"What if the Galra were to attack right now? You would have no choice but to fight."

"That's different."

"No it's not. Lance, we have to train, even when you're sick. That's just the way it is in a war. Now go get changed."

"No." Lance felt his tail flick again and began getting nervous.

"Go get your armor on, now," Shiro growled, and again the flick of his tail.

"But all I'll do is just slow you-- eep!" Lance felt a cold hand up his shirt then that same hand wrap around his tail and pull. He cried out on the harsh treatment of his extra body part and whipped around to see the shocked face of Pidge.

It was silent for a few seconds before Pidge put her hand to her mouth. "You have a tail..." Lance gulped and took a step back, holding his tail. "Don't tell me those eyes are real, too!"

"N-no! These are just props," he laughs weakly while walking backwards, slowly.

"Ohh no! I pulled on that and it didn't come off. I felt the warmth, Lance! Don't try tricking me!"

Lance turned and ran for the door but someone stepped in front of him and he ran into them. He looked up and saw Keith's stern face.

Lance whimpered and stepped away from him. Hunk came up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Dude, how did this happen?"

Lance looked down, hunching in on himself. "I- I think it was from that- that canon from our last battle."

Shiro looked at Lance's tail. "But when Coran checked over you, he said everything was fine."

Lance crossed his arms, his tail flicked behind him. "Well, the same night I grew freaking fangs, so!"

"Wait, wait, wait!" Pidge brought her hands up and walked up to Lance. "You grew fangs? Lemme see!"

"Wha- no way! Leave me alone!"

Pidge tackled the taller male and tickled him until he started laughing. "Holy crap! You really do!" Pidge began laughing at him.

"It's not funny! It was painful and I can't eat with a spoon!" Lance pouted and he looked to the side and pushed Pidge off him. She didn't understand how painful it was to get new body parts.