Chapter Two

"Hey Ember, what's up? Where are you running off to?" Asked Adelaide as she entered the nursing station. 

"Renner's hunting for me. Please pray for me," she said as she rushed out. Gretchen Renner was their scary head nurse and everyone was too scared to even talk about her. Adelaide pitied her and went about her work. Ember dealt with one emergency after the other at the pediatric department. After a whole day of dealing with sick children, she was finally done. Coming over to their nursing station they laughed and giggled at another nurse's tales. Finally it was time to go home. Ember walked down all the way to her granny's house near the market place, which wasn't far from the hospital.

"Ember, honey, how was your day?" Asked her granny. 

"Tiring granny. It started badly with Renner's lecture," said Ember walking up to her room to freshen up. She came down to the kitchen after a shower. Grabbing a slice of granny's carrot cake, she sat down beside her, laying her head on her shoulders and eating her food.

"Your aunt Freida called up from Chicago. Your cousin Julia is getting married next month and they want you to attend her wedding. Josh will come to get you," said granny. Ember's heart skipped a beat. A wedding? She absolutely loved attending weddings. She clapped her hands with happiness. 

"I would love to attend Julia's wedding. Oh my gosh! I have so much shopping to do," said Ember excitedly. Granny looked at her enthusiasm with indulgence. Her aunt Frieda was the wife of Ember's uncle Cole who was the only brother of her mom. Julia was uncle Cole's oldest daughter being three years older than Ember.  Julia's younger brother Josh was a year older than her at twenty-three and Jazz who was the youngest was just twenty. Ember had met them last eight years back and hadn't kept in touch after her parents death. She had forgotten Chicago, it held too many memories for her. 

"We'll go to Charlotte Wilson's boutique tomorrow to get you some dresses for the wedding. Happy?" Asked her granny with a chuckle. Ember stared at her granny, the colour disappeared from her cheeks at the mention of the Wilson's. She knew who Charlotte Wilson was. She was Rex's aunt. She just crossed her fingers that she wouldn't meet Rex at her boutique. Granny Stacey, however never missed a thing. She noticed her grand daughter's pale face at the mention of Rex's aunt. Her wise heart knew that the poor girl's heart still skipped a beat at the mention of Rex's name. If only she could fix her up with the guy! She would try once Ember returned from Chicago. 

"If you have other plans, you're most welcome. Freida said that she would take you shopping in Chicago, " said granny Stacey. Ember composed her nerves. No, she wanted to go to Charlotte Wilson's boutique. She wanted to hope to meet Rex there. 

"No no, we'll go to Charlotte Wilson's boutique tomorrow," said Ember. She waited impatiently for the next day hoping to meet a blue-eyed football player she had been crushing upon since she was fourteen. 

The next day Rhett came home in the morning in the happiest mood ever.  "Bro, you smell like roses and women's shampoo," said Rex, inhaling him. Sawyer too came forward and sniffed him thoroughly.

Rhett grinned and pushed both of them away. "I swear he does," said Sawyer.

"Spill or else no coffee for you," said Rex, sipping his coffee. Sawyer too sipped his coffee and fist bumped with Rex.

"I'll get my own coffee," said Rhett.

"Nope, you can't go anywhere without telling us," said Sawyer, both blocking his way.

"There's nothing to tell guys. I just dropped Adelaide off at her hospital, " said Rhett and they all eyed one another.

"Ohh, are you guys dating?" Asked Rex.