Chapter Thirteen

Ember couldn't remove the smile from her face despite the fact that she had no hopes with Rex. She knew that he would run for the hills the moment he came know about her past. If Lauren couldn't catch his interest, who was she? Just a broken woman with a battered body? Yet she remembered his words and her eyes shone extra brightly, her small smile hovered over her lips all the time. Granny noticed her change of mood after she returned from Wildcreek Ranch and was quite happy with the results. It was the first time in years that she saw her grand daughter this happy.

"Honey, don't you want any dinner?" She asked seeing her not sitting with them at the table.

"No, Rex treated me to dinner, " she said shyly. Granny's eyes shone excitedly and she shared a look of satisfaction with her husband. Finally, she was starting to come out of her shell.

"Then you should call him here for dinner, too," said her gramps.

Ember looked at her grandfather with surprise. He wanted her to invite Rex home? "Yes, that's a wonderful idea," said her granny.

"I'll call him when I meet him next," said Ember dismissively. She wasn't going to meet him soon since she wouldn't go to his house anytime soon. By then she was sure that her grandparents would forget all about it.

The next day, Ember didn't meet Adelaide at the nursing station in the morning since she arrived a little late. After a whole day, Adelaide was about to leave when Ember walked inside. "Hey, how did you go home yesterday?" She asked, knowing fully well that everyone had left her alone with Rex and escaped from the mall. After seeing Rex's interest in a girl for the first time in twenty-eight years, everyone had started hoping.

"Rex dropped me home," she told her, as her cheeks flushed with color.

"My bridal shower party's coming up next week. I'll drop in to invite granny Stacey and you," said Adelaide and Ember gave a strained smile. Her heart started beating rapidly at the prospect of meeting Rex again next week. Adelaide climbed onto Rhett's truck and left while she walked down to her house, deep in thought. Will Rex be there at the party? Would he remember her?

A loud horn from a Ford F-250, cruising alongside her brought her out of her reverie and she looked at the driver irritated by him. Her eyes popped out seeing a smirking Rex sitting behind the steering wheel!

"Hey Ember! Dreaming about me?" He asked in an amused tone.

"I have other important things to do, okay, " she lashed back but her cheeks colored. Was it that obvious that she was indeed thinking about him?

"That's bad because I have only one important work to do right now," he said, still driving alongside her.

"Then go and do it," she said, walking faster.

"I'm doing it," he said, keeping pace with her.

"Uggh, don't you get tired of flirting?" She said, running towards her gates. She entered granny's frontyard and sprinted towards her door to run inside and bang it on his face but he was faster than she had ever imagined. In the blink of an eye, he had parked his car, jumped out of it, locked it, leaped across the gates and dashed right on time to place his foot through stopping her from banging the door. Ember's mouth hung open in surprise.

"Cat got your tongue, Ms Fischer?" He asked with a smirk, pushing open the door and coming in, right into her, nose to nose.

"Go to hell, Rex, " she said and turned to go away but he caught hold of her wrist.

"Only if you come along, " he smirked, pissing her all the more.

"Is that you Rex?" Asked granny with a smug expression on her face, coming out of the kitchen.

"Yes, hello granny Stacey. How are you?" He asked her, immediately releasing Ember's wrist.

"I'm fine dear but you seem to be so busy that you forgot all about your granny Stacey," complained granny Stacey.

Rex scratched the nape of his neck with guilt. "Sorry granny Stacey. I'll make it up to you now, " he offered.

"I'll go and freshen up," said Ember, leaving them alone and dashing off to her room. She would take so long that Rex would eventually give up hope and leave. The nerves tingled at the spot where his hand held hers. She could still feel the warmth of his rough hand on her baby soft skin. She showered and wore her shorts and a baby pink top and left her hair untied to relax her scalp. It was already over forty minutes and she was certain that he had left by now. Walking towards the living room, she thought of helping granny with dinner.

As she reached the door of the kitchen, her eyes popped out seeing granny and Rex busy whispering as if planning and plotting behind her back. Strangely, they jumped apart seeing her and tried to behave normally. "What's going on?" She asked with suspicion.

"We're making dinner," stated Rex, looking up at her. His jaws dropped to the floor seeing her creamy, long never-ending legs exposed from that microscopic pair of shorts. As he looked up, the soft pink top hugging her curves made his situation no better and he couldn't look away.

"Are you whispering the recipes to one another?" Ember rolled her eyes at his gaze. He didn't answer. He couldn't. His friend was trying to harden with excitement and he was trying to calm it down with full effort. Granny chuckled and left the kitchen.

"I'll go and freshen up," she said over her shoulders.

"What? Cat got your tongue, Mr Wilson?" Asked Ember, after granny left, giving his comment back on his face.

"No, I'm concentrating elsewhere," he smirked, chopping more veggies. Ember gave him a blank look. Wasn't he weird? Rex saw her blank look and knew that she wasn't able to comprehend his sentence. So innocent and so hot! A dangerous combination for him. He smirked more at the thought.

Granny returned to make the slow cooker beef tenderloins while the two flanked on either side of her, discreetly glancing at each other. "Ember, Rex can you set the table while I make this?" Asked granny eager to get them together.

"Sure," grinned Rex, he was thoroughly enjoying this. Ember collected the plates and cutlery and walked out to do as directed. Rex followed watching her butt sway deliciously ahead of him clad in that tiny pair of shorts. He felt like grasping onto them, feeling her creamy butt cheeks and pulling her against his friend, grinding into her till she was dripping wet for him.

"Can you get the napkins please?" Asked Ember but he didn't move an inch, standing right behind her as if in a daze.

"Rex?" She snapped her fingers before his eyes. It worked and he came out of his trance. "What's gotten into you?" She asked in a pissed off tone.

"You," he stated, staring at her surprised face. Ember was frozen by his answer. What did he mean? "Were you saying something?" He asked.

"Y yes, can you get the napkins, please?" She asked, her face flushing with color as she realized what he had just said. He saluted and sauntered off into the kitchen to get the napkins. He was amazed at himself for being lost in such sinful thoughts of her. It wasn't his fault though. She was all he had dreamt about for so many years and seeing those s*xy legs made him long to touch them. He asked granny Stacey for the napkins and then took them back to Ember. He could see her bend over to pick up a fork that had clattered to the floor, her hot butt looking ripe and rounded, waiting for him to touch. The top rode up a bit and her creamy waist was exposed to his hungry eyes. He stood like a statue, too aroused to move a single muscle. He knew that he had grown rock hard already.

Ember sensed Rex's presence behind her. Goosebumps erupted on her arms and legs at his hot appraisal. She slowly straightened and turned around to go to the kitchen to wash the fallen fork clearly. She looked up at his face as he just watched her like a hawk, quiet and alert. Her cheeks reddened at his minute appraisal of her as she passed. He hadn't taken off his eyes from her. She entered the kitchen and released the breath that she had unknowingly been holding.

"Done dear. Let's take the food to the table, " said granny as she looked at a dazed Ember. Did he kiss her? Granny looked at her lips. No, he didn't, she easily could conclude.

"Yes, granny," said Ember, leaving the fork at the kitchen sink. She carried the food to the table along with granny. Rex was already sitting at the table with her grandfather, talking about his work. Granny sat beside her gramps and the only chair that was empty was the one beside Rex.