Chapter Ten

"This is so exciting. I've known the Wilson's all my life. Jenny's a good friend of mine," said granny Stacey. "So is Ember attending your wedding?" She asked more curious than before. 

"Yes, she's my bridesmaid," informed Adelaide. 

"That's great. Will you do me a favor dear?" Asked granny, expectantly. 

"Yes, granny. I'll do anything you ask me to do," she promised. 

"We both are old and very worried about Ember. The girl has lost the zeal to live. She cannot trust any man after what she went through. She has sworn off marriage and men and it's bothering us. What will happen to her after we're gone? I want to see her happily settled down in life. Does your fiancé have any friend or brother who's single?" Asked granny, knowing perfectly well that Rex was still single. She had kept an eye on Rex for the last few years without Ember's knowledge. 

Adelaide smiled. "Yes, Rhett's twin Rex is single. Ember used to like him before going to Chicago. She had asked me to introduce her to Rex but then she went away and so did I. I could introduce her to Rex but she wouldn't come to Rhett's house with me," said Adelaide. 

"Hmm, it's going to be difficult to convince her. She has never gone out anywhere in the last five years," said granny. 

"I'll keep trying, don't worry, granny," said Adelaide. Ember came out wearing a black shorts and a pale pink top. 

"Sorry to keep you waiting, " she told her. "Wanna have a drink?" She offered.

"Nothing alcoholic please. I have to go home and make dinner for granny and me, " said Adelaide. Ember served a fruity mocktail along with some mozzarella sticks that granny had made. They talked about what happened at the hospital in Adelaide's absence. They discussed the wedding which would take place at Wildcreek Ranch. Granny left when she received a phone call from Ember's grandfather who was at a friend's house in the neighborhood. 

"Ember, you have to come over at least once to coordinate with everyone," Adelaide told her. Ember's eyes widened with panic. 

"Everyone will hate me when they know what happened to me. I'm useless Adel. Why are you insisting on involving me in your wedding? I'm just bad luck," she told her brokenly. Adelaide stared at her dumbfounded by her words. She had no idea how much all this had affected Ember. 

She hugged her friend. "No Ember, it wasn't your fault. No one will hate you. Everyone has a past. It's part and parcel of our lives. We have to learn to live with them, " said Adelaide, trying her best to comfort her friend.

The next two weeks Adelaide was busy with her wedding preparations and Ember took an update from her everyday. Rihanna was her maid of honor while Renée and Ember were her bridesmaids. Although Ember wanted to help, she was too apprehensive to go to the Wildcreek Ranch knowing that Rex was there. She didn't waht to meet him in this condition, with a broken body and mind. Adelaide and the Wilson family had gone to a seamstress in Helena for their wedding dresses. Adelaide gave Ember's measurements too since she couldn't convince her to come along. 

She hadn't been able to convince Ember to accompany her to Rhett's house yet. Eager to see her reaction to Rex's pictures, she had clicked several family photographs during the weekend to show Ember. She saw Ember as usual in the morning and greeted her warmly. Everyday she asked for an update on her wedding plans and Adelaide enthusiastically complied. 

"I'm glad Rhett takes so much care of you Adel," said Ember. "So how many bridesmaids do you have?" She asked curiously. 

Adelaide produced her mobile phone and showed her the group photographs of all Rhett's siblings and cousins, watching Ember closely. "This is Rihanna, Rhett's sister. She's my maid of honor. These are Renée and Raine, they're my bridesmaids too. These are Ryan, Ryder and Ronald and this is you know who,  Rex," she said softly. Ember stared at Rex's photograph with a small smile on her lips. Rex had a playful smile on his face as he fixed his hair which Renée had her hands upon.