Chapter Twenty-Eight

Rex sat dumbfounded by her outburst. Then slowly he came to his senses, realizing that she had actually declined him. Fierce determination coursed through his entire body. He wasn't going away without a fight. He would stay till he won her over, days weeks, months or even years. In the meantime, he would nurse her back to health 'coz she was the only one he ever wanted and was determined to win over and marry. 

He got up from her bed and went to the living room. Ember watched him go. She knew she had driven him out of her life forever but her heart wasn't ready to trust him again. She was broken and this was for the best. She lay down quietly, curled up into a ball, waiting for the sound of the main door to open and shut after Rex. Strangely even after five minutes, there were no sounds apart from the sound of utensils in the kitchen. What was the guy upto? Didn't he go back to Fordsville? She got up and walked softly out of her room to find Rex in the kitchen, cooking. Her jaws dropped with surprise. 

"What are you doing here? I thought that you had left?" She asked with wide eyes.

"I'm not leaving without you, Ember, " said Rex adamantly. 

"I'll never go back with you," said Ember, with fierce determination. 

"Fine. I'll live here with you," said Rex, shrugging his shoulders. 

"You can't live here? There's only one bed and it's mine. It's not for a day, Rex. I mean I will never ever go back," rambled on Ember, confused as ever. 

"I'll live here forever with you. I'll share your bed, your room, your kitchen, your washroom, your sofa, your....," started Rex but Ember interrupted him.

"Stop, I won't share anything with you, " she declared. 

"But I will," said Rex, concentrating on his cooking. The smell of food was heavenly and Ember went closer to take a closer look. She was excited to have Rex in her apartment but refused to show her rapid heartbeats and her jumpy nerves. She had no idea how long she would stay sane with a hot Rex living 24/7 with her. No this is actually a bad idea. 

"What about your work?" She asked with curiosity. 

"Oh, I'll inform at home. There are so many others to look into my work," he said with a dismissive wave of his hand. 

"Rex, it won't work. I won't go back with you. I'm afraid to trust," she told him.

"I'll win back your trust, Ember. Give me a chance, please," he coaxed. 

"No, I can't, " she continued stubbornly.

"I'm staying nevertheless. I'll cook for you delicious food and do household chores for you. Will you let me stay then?" He asked.

"Hmm, I'll think about it," she said suppressing a smile and walking towards her bedroom. Rex did a happy dance in his head. But wait, how could he stay for a year without clothes? He hadn't even thought about that. He couldn't strut around naked displaying his junk to her? It wasn't a bad idea though. He chuckled and continued to cook. Then he remembered the suitcase full of clothes that he had taken to Blake's house. He hadn't unloaded that from his car. That would do for now. Then later he could ask Rihanna to get him more of his stuff if required. He hummed a tune happily and cooked a beef stew and made a steak salad to go with it and buttered some bread rolls too. Then he went towards the bedroom to see what Ember was up to. 

Ember had taken a fresh shower, washing her hair till it shone. She put on a nice pretty top and a long beautiful skirt that she had always loved and received compliments whenever she wore it. It was strange that even after everything between them, she still wanted to look pretty for Rex. Would he like her in this dress? She thought, drying and combing her hair when she went still seeing Rex's reflection on her mirror. He had a strange emotion in his eyes, which were dark and hooked to her lips? She blushed and looked away but he came up behind her and just watched her. 

"Did you need something?" She asked him. 

"Yes, will you.." he started but then looked at his feet. "I want..," he again but looked so vulnerable that Ember felt a tug at her heart strings. 

"Let's eat," he said quietly and turned abruptly, leaving her room. Ember's shoulders sagged with disappointment. Did he not want to kiss her anymore? Maybe she wasn't looking pretty enough for him. Maybe he was just sticking here to feed her back to health, just put of guilt. She walked out to the dining table and her to her surprise a delicious lunch was laid out before her. 

"Wow! You cooked all this? I can't believe it," she said, clasping her hands with awe. Rex grinned at scratched his head. 

He pulled out a chair for her. "Shall we start? Tell me whether it's edible. I cooked after a long time," he admitted with a faint color to his cheeks. The last time he had cooked was when they were together, almost a year back.

"I'll eat anything you make, Rex. Thank you, " she said, placing a fork full of salad into her mouth. His heart beats increased hearing her words.

"Yummy, delicious. C'mon start eating. I can't possibly eat all of this alone, " she said with a smile that lighted up her eyes. Rex stared at her as if stunned by that radiant smile. It gave him hope. 

He sat down opposite her and they ate in silence. "What did you do for a year?" She asked him surprisingly. Rex grinned. She was responding to him, showing interest in him and that was a positive sign that she was warming up to him. It increased his hope that he could do this. He could win her over. 

"I only drank, yelled at everyone and loved you more," he told her. Ember was shocked by his admission but she felt her heart beats intensify at his words. So he did have a tough time just like her. A woman dealt with grief differently than a man and Rex's admission told her that he too was just as grief stricken as her. 

"I missed you, Ember, " he told her softly. Ember didn't answer. It was implied that she missed him too. Her haggard state, her sick body was proof enough. Rex didn't wait for a response. He obviously understood. 

"Adelaide sent you Andrea's party pictures. I'll show them to you after lunch," said Rex. Ember grinned with excitement. She had been waiting eagerly for Andrea's pictures to frame and put up on her wall. She was glad that Adelaide remembered. The last few days, she hadn't been able to catch up with her. In fact she hadn't even called her grandparents after that first day when she had returned back to Helena. She hadn't reported back to her work also. 

"I was eager to see them," said Ember, the smile remaining on her lips as she ate. 

"Well, it's in the car. Don't lock me out. I'll just go and get it," he said with a warning. Ember chuckled. 

"I'll lock you out obviously, " she said, getting up to clear the table. She knew that she was kidding but she wanted to see his reaction. 

"Fine then, I won't show you the pictures," he pouted, sitting  with his back to her. Ember laughed at his childlike behavior. She nudged him with her body. 

"Go and get them. I won't lock you out, promise, " she said, playfully. 

"Don't touch me or else I'll grab you and kiss you hard," he warned, with his eyes flashing with defiance. Ember's mouth hung open and she ran into the kitchen. She was breathing hard at his words. So did he still desire her like he used to? She couldn't hope. 

Rex got up and picked up her apartment keys and went out to get his stuff from his car. He wasn't taking any risk. 

Ember heard him go out, closing the main door after him. She smiled knowing that she would never lock him out. In her heart she actually wanted him to stay. She wanted to spend time with him. She still loved him after all but she wouldn't accept that in front of him right now. 

She hummed a tune as she rinsed the dishes and stored the left overs in her refrigerator. She would soon need to stock up if Rex was staying over for an indefinite period. Strangely, half an hour passed by and yet Rex didn't return. Did he get tired of her and run away to Fordsville forever?

When forty minutes passed by, she gave up and walked dejectedly to her bedroom as tears fell from her eyes. He had left after all, she was sure by now.