Part 4 - Dance Partner

It's been a week since Sam's first lesson and she's been busier than ever. She has started taking up classes almost every second day. And while she's buried herself in her dance routines, I've been nose deep in my project for my Psychology Course that I'm majoring in. We had to carry out interviews and analyse them to justify our hypothesis. And as much as I love doing that, it's really mentally exhausting to figure out people's thoughts and emotions; especially when you've completely been ignoring yours. But I can't dwell on my emotions right now, not when I have other important things to focus on. But now that I'm finally done with my project, I'm thinking I'll go to Millennium. It's been a stressful week and I know dance is just what I need right now to destress. So I decided to go to Millennium today with Alex cause I haven't seen him in a while and it's a weekend so it's perfect.

Later that day, 6 PM

I finally decided to go with comfort and chose to wear black sweatpants and a long white tee and tied it at the bottom in a knot. Alex asked me if he should pick me up but I turned him down because I was going to walk to Millennium 'cause I needed sometime to myself to think and I just like to walk anyway, would probably get some much needed exercise in too.

At Millennium, 6:30 PM

Millennium looks like it hasn't changed at all, which it probably wouldn't in a week. Well anyways, now that I'm here I think I'll actually get some dance moves in. And maybe even learn a few new ones. So as I just go around talking to a few people I haven't met in the last week, my eyes unknowingly keep searching for a specific pair of eyes that are nowhere to be seen. Well, it seems like luck wasn't on his side today since he's not here and he's missing his chance to prove me wrong. But why does it feel like even when he's the one losing, I'm not really winning?

Forgetting all these thoughts, I walk up to Alex and both of us start watching the choreography being taught and others dances when he suddenly tells me that he won't dance with me.

"So, are you really not going to dance with me?" I ask Alex while watching the dance.

"Ara, you need to learn to be on your own. You can dance without me and you will do great. You don't need a partner."

"Maybe. But I do want one. And what's the problem? We always dance together. And you're here because you want to dance so why are you forcing me to dance alone?"

"There is no problem. And I'm forcing you for your own good. You never dance alone and I want you to get that confidence to do it. Give yourself a chance. Trust yourself." He pleads looking at me with sympathy in his eyes.

"Alex, can we please not have this conversation again? We have this talk every few weeks and you know nothing is going to change. I don't like to dance solo in front of people and I am definitely not starting today. So you tell me, are you going to dance with me and help me destress or not?"

"You're really not helping yourself by avoiding yourself, but I won't say anything more on this. For now." He says with a tone that tells me we'll be coming back on this topic soon.

"But for now, let's destress" he says and starts walking pulling me behind him.

We pass through the crowd as the guy who was dancing is done and now high-fives Alex's and my hand as we move towards the center.

And then Despacito by Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi started playing on the speakers and we started dancing to the rhythm following the choreography that was taught a few minutes ago.