𝐯𝐢. 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬

WAR 3x21

After another day at work, and trying to decide if she should stay, Amelia finds Sam.

"Hey." Amelia sat on the canoe with Sam, "Can I hide out here with you? It is tense over there. I mean, Addison and Pete are like—"

Sam cuts her off, "Yeah, yeah, I know." He looks back at the house.

"Are they breaking up? This is a good thing—"

"Will you shut up?" Sam snapped, "Please shut up." He sighs, "Y— what are you even doing here? Running around watching surgeries, watching other people's lives, messing around with Athena, trying to fix things, and not doing anything about your own life? You raise a girl from the dead, you don't have a job because you don't want to talk to your brother, yet, you're giving me advice on my life? Deal with your own mess before you get into mine. Now if you want to sit there, fine. Sit there. But keep your mouth shut."

Amelia stays silent for a second, "You are hot when you're mad. No wonder Addison l—"

"Amelia."

She stares out at the ocean, "At least you know what you want."

"All right." Sam got up from his spot.

"No, Sam." Amelia walks after him, "I mean, you know..who you are and..and what you want and..what's important to you. I mean, me, I'm— I'm a mess. I don't have anything or anyone or even any kind of an idea who I am or what I am doing or why. And I have done stuff, Sam..I have done bad stuff, and I..I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I thought maybe Athena would be a nice friend..to have, but..of course I messed that up, too. I'm shutting up now." She chuckles and sits back down.

Sam sits back down beside her.

"Look, I'm sure you didn't mess things up with Athena." Sam starts, "She— has had things happen too. And she's messed up too. She doesn't know what she's doing, either. She just arrived to the hospital a while ago, she's good at her job, she's great. She's a good influence on you. So apologize for whatever you did."

Amelia nods.

🪷

"Do you believe Violet Turner is a fit mother?" Was the question Athena was being asked by the attorney.

Mostly everyone from the practice was watching her, plus the judge.

No. She didn't think she was a fit mother.

But was she gonna say that? Maybe. Maybe not.

"Uh," Athena trailed off.

"Is it true that your mother died from a heart disease when you were young?"

"Yes. But what does that have to do—" Athena gets cut off.

"And how did that happen?"

"Well, she was really into drugs, but she never did them around me." Athena assured her.

"In Violet's will, if something ever happens to her and Pete, you are to get Lucas. Are you stable enough to be able to do that?"

"Yes. I— have never done drugs." Athena lied, but she'd been clean for years.

"It says here that—"

Athena's pager starts going off, "Excuse me, I have to get this."

Athena hurried to leave before they could get to the part about her family. No one could know that. Not until she was ready.

The page was for the hospital, not anything too urgent. She just forgot to check her patients before she left. Thought, they were fine.

That's what the nurse told her when she got to the hospital.

After that she went out. She couldn't stand being at the hospital, or at her and Charlotte's apartment.

🪷

"Hey Charlotte." Athena slurred into the phone.

"Athena, where are you?"

"Uh, I don't know." Athena said, making her best friend sigh.

"You can't do this. You can't run off."

"Shit!" Athena muttered, as she tripped. "I cut my arm off a rock."

"Where are you?"

"Relax. I'm in a bar parking lot." Athena groans.

"What bar?"

"The one we always go to."

"I'll be there soon."

And she was there soon. A concerned look on her face.

"Athena, what is going on?"

"Nothing." Athena gets into Charlotte's car, "Take me to the hospital. You need to stitch this cut up."

"Fine."

🪷

Charlotte starts stitching Athena's arm up, "You're not like this, Athena. This isn't you."

"Do you ever think, that maybe, you don't know me as well as you think you do?" Athena snaps.

"What does that mean?"

"If you knew me as well as you think, you'd know that I was hurt after what the attorney said in court, you'd know that what I said was a lie. You'd know I need a friend right now. You would know that I'm hurting. And maybe I'm not who you think I am." Athena tears up.

Athena was still drunk, so she wasn't sure what she was doing.

"Athena— what are you talking about?" Charlotte shook her head. "What do you mean your not who I think you are? Your Athena Hadley-Willow Knotts."

"Charlotte. I look exactly like Addison." Charlotte finished stitching up her arm.

"What? Athena, you've had too much to drink." Charlotte rolls her eyes at her best friend.

"No I haven't. Charlotte..I need to tell you something. I'm telling you this because I trust you. And I've told you more about myself than I had to my own mother. But, Addison is my sister."

"Bullshit." Charlotte states, crossing her arms.

"My mom had sex with Addison's dad—'The Captain'—and made me. What's there not to believe?" Athena stays quiet for a minute, "Look at my hospital record. It'll tell you."

"Why?" Charlotte asked, "Why did you lie to me?"

"I'm tired." Athena whispered. "Just— let's go home." She walks out of the hospital and stands by Charlotte's car.

"Athena." Charlotte said once they were in the car. "Why did you lie?"

"I didn't want you to think I was just there to visit. You seemed like a great person, we clicked immediately, became best friends. And I needed this job. Badly." She stays silent, "You can't tell anyone."

"I promise I won't, Athena. I'm here for you."

literally in love w this.