Number one

Four years ago (Service year #4)

The icy water hits his face with a stinging force. The cold makes his whole body shiver, the outside world disappearing as his head gets shoved into the basin. Arms flailing uselessly at his sides as he tries to fight the hold of his commanding officer. His struggles were just as useless though. He learned that the first five times the man had done this to him. His lungs scream in protest, wanting desperately the reprieve, yearning for the breath they're getting deprived of.

His ten-year-old body, already weak from exertion and lack of oxygen, doesn't stand a chance against the white-knuckled grip of the burly man behind him. Fingers digging into sensitive flesh, head aching as his hair gets pulled, his mouths opening to accommodate a desperate lungful of air as the man finally takes pity on him. Taking him out of the deep end, a sickening laugh erupting from his throat as he looks down at the boy kneeling at his feet.

The cold water dribbles down his neck, making it hard for his body to stop quivering, feeling the cold down to his very core. A mix of tears and water drip onto his pants, staining the fabric with droplets of murky liquid. His entire body heaves as he tries to draw in as much air as he can. For he knows it's not over yet, it can't be. Not until Axel got what he wanted. Not until Izuku gave in to the man's orders.

His chest feels uncomfortably tight, every breath he takes is heavy and harsh against his abused lungs. It makes it even harder for him to think clearly. Mind foggy with oxygen deprivation.

"You ready to do it now, brat?" The man snarls, his hand embedding itself in his dark green curls once more. Pulling his neck back until his eyes meet the officer's red orbs. His other hand holds out the rifle he wanted Izuku to use.

His irritation only skyrockets when Izuku doesn't make a move to retrieve the weapon. Eyes narrowing dangerously as he stands up, dropping his hold on Izuku's hair abruptly, sending the boy sprawling on the ground, hands scraping against the asphalt painfully.

Izuku can only stare helplessly as the officer's gaze drifts toward the dog chained to the pole a few meters ahead of them. The man's grin widens ominously as his head turns back to stare at the boy. A devilish smirk forming on his features as he looks at him, then back at the rifle in his grip.

His heart drops as the man takes a position behind him, taking another gun out of his holster. This time, he aims it at Izuku himself.

"Do it or you'll get what's coming for you." The threat makes his heart thunder faster in his chest, threatening to break through the barriers protecting it, the thick layers of flesh and bones keeping it hidden away. The world dims until his gaze focuses only on the rifle, now resting innocently on the ground in front of him.

"P-please, Sir. I d-don't want to d-do this." Izuku whispers hoarsely. Voice raw as he wishes desperately for all of this to end. Maybe if the man shoots him it could.

"Follow my orders, PRIVATE!" The man's voice echoes through the field, giving his tone an even more commanding air to it. Making Izuku's body move even when his mind screams at him not to. Hands stretching to take hold of the discarded weapon, fingers trembling against its hard surface.

"N-no. Please s-stop." He can't do this. He won't. What did that dog ever do to him? When did that poor creature ever do anything wrong! It didn't deserve to be killed! "Stop!"

"THREE!" The horror he feels increases as the man starts counting down, his heartbeat rings loudly in his ears, making it hard for him to focus on anything else. His vision narrowing as the world spins around him, the panic catching up to his addled senses. "TWO!" The rifle cocks threateningly behind him, but he can't get himself to care. His fingers quiver against the cold steel in his grip, reminding him of what he had to do, but couldn't.