Chapter 13

Four years ago

His legs ached terribly, muscles pulsing with every move he made, every step he took toward his cell. His body felt heavy, as if dragged down by an invisible weight.

The sun was all but gone from the sky, red-purple rays blessing the world with the last remnants of color for the night. Sergeant Silva had put him through the wringer. Making him run through his hell drills all day. The higher-ups- as he referred to them- seemed to think that Izuku needed more intense training.

The doors to the science building were in sight now, somehow, despite the fatigue plaguing his very essence, he didn't want to go back to the solitude of his four white walls just yet.

Moving closer, despite his every instinct telling him to turn around and walk away, he was suddenly pulled to the side. His exhaustion was the only reason the culprit wasn't down for the count.

"Hey, hey! It's just me!" Haru exclaimed, hands coming up in the universal sign for 'I come in peace', halting the fist that was currently aimed at his face.

Lowering his arm, he took a moment to make sense of the boy's actions. "What are you doing?" He asked, his voice low, looking around as if expecting LC Axel to pop out of the bushes and bust him for missing curfew.

"Some of my friends are on guard duty today." The boy said plainly, as if it explained everything perfectly.

"Okay..." He enunciated, feeling more than a little confused. "G-good for them." And after a moment of silence. "Goodnight." He turned to head back, knowing now that if the guard beat him up tonight, Haruki would probably feel bad about it. He shouldn't give them any reason to do so.

"W-wait!" The teen rushed to block his path once again, hands coming up to hold him by the shoulders, hesitating as Izuku unconsciously flinched away. "Don't you get what this means?"

"It means I have to get to my cell before curfew." The soldier replied monotonously, expression neutral, feeling a little impatient now.

"Nope." Haruki declared lifting his chin, his chest puffing as he crossed his arms over his torso. "It means that I, my oblivious friend," And didn't his chest warm at the word-"-have free reign to kidnap you tonight." He announced proudly. "With. No. Consequences." He grinned mischievously, leaning his head until he was an inch away from Izuku's own.

Taking a step back, Izuku looked his friend over once more, wondering if they, perhaps, served alcohol at the mess hall today that he didn't know about. "But Axel is going to check-"

"Nope, he's being taken care of as we speak. My bunk mates have made it their mission to distract him tonight. He won't have time to trim nose hair, let alone check on you." The Cadet stated rather vulgarly, Cheshire grin making him look more like a satisfied cat than a reptilian quirked boy.

"But what about-"

"No, no uh, stop overthinking it, just do whatever the hell you want man. Just for tonight, alright? You are free. So, you in or you out?"

Looking past his friend's shoulder, towards the dark, looming building. He'd already made his decision, he realized. "Alright, I'm in."

________________________________________________

"Haru, we can't be here." Izuku whispered harshly, gaze drifting at every shadow, feeling a little too paranoid. "This place is definitely off limits."

"You need to stop worrying so much, Izu." The boy in question replied off-handedly, piling some craters over to the side of the building. Once satisfied with the boxes' position, he climbed up.