Haru

Four years ago

"You're getting better." His drill sergeant muttered. The man had a strong build. Taller than Axel and slightly larger. His hair was buzzed close to his scalp, making his features look sharp. Dark sunken eyes bore into Izuku's own as they regarded him. Deep tiredness seemed to radiate from the man, despite the firm, strong aura that emanated from his every move. Always vigilante, always calculative. "Good." He spoke lowly, his deep, rough voice making Izuku want to stand straighter. "I'd say your AIT is as good as over. But you never know with the higher-ups." Lighting up a cigarette and exhaling as the first puffs of smoke reached the air between them, he continues. "Scram kid, I know Axel's a little high and off the right, but I doubt he'll smoke you for taking a break." His words made him want to shift uncertainly. Already knowing where this was going. "This ain't a suggestion green."

He didn't have to be told twice, already recognizing the tone and words for what they were. An order. A dismissal.

Despite his misgivings and the dread he could feel bubbling in his guts he couldn't help but feel a little apprehensive. When was the last time someone had given him time off? Outside too! Was he imagining things? Was this a trick? He shook his head, Sergeant Silva wasn't the type to say things he didn't mean. He'd learned a long time ago that the man was as straightforward and blunt as they come.

His feet carried him off and towards a field he'd rarely ever gone to unsupervised. In fact, this was the first time he was outside without some form of guard or superior.

The field in question was a cadet track field. One meant for regular running drills and physical training evaluations.

Rounding the corner, he found what he was looking for, or to be precise, who he was looking for.

Gulping down collected saliva from his mouth, he quelled his nerves long enough to take a breath.

He'd seen them before, the cadets of this year's core, their training having sometimes overlapped. Even if he was always on his own compared to their team drills and exercises. Axel and the general never did like it when he tried to join in on their runs. Axel in particular always went out of his way to isolate him. Not that he ever tried very hard to protest.

Looking at this particular group of cadets, he wonders if this was a bad idea after all. Five boys were gathered, perched on a ledge off to the left of the field. Clearly having just finished individual training, if their rainbow gear was of any indication. They were lucky they could choose to forgo the official uniforms. Izuku, for his part, didn't have that particular luxury. His clothes always needed to be regulatory, not a thread out of place else he faced the wrath of the lieutenant.

The red band that stretched around his right hip was the only exception. Serving to differentiate him from the rest. Inform the onlookers that he was in fact, not normal. An outsider. Most likely so that the guard could know who they were supposed to keep an eye on.

Losing what little courage he'd garnered, he twisted around and decided that maybe he'd be better off back in his cell. His free time could be used to clean out his room for the next inspection. Maybe try and get in his guard's good graces by going back earlier.

Making up his mind, he walked back out of the field.

Just as he was about to step away, a hand snagged itself onto his arm, stopping his movements in their track.

"Hey, wait."

The grip was light but firm. One he was entirely unfamiliar with.

Hoping it wouldn't be one of his superior officers, he turned around. Confusion was clear on his features as he looked at one of the five boys he'd just seen back out in the field.