Chapter 7

The Sentinels of Light have faced numerous creatures, but never have they met this kind of creature.

Senna stares at the village's location on the map as Lucian enters the room. "So, what happened?" He leans on the map.

"A young man died." She glances at him as he sighs. "But an entity retrieved his soul."

"Thresh?" He frowns.

Senna smiles. "No, the entity took the soul back from him, however."

Lucian stares at her in realization. "You mean..."

"This new creature fought against him and Viego to get it back." She smirks. "Her name is Kamui and she lives with Ragna right now."

Lucian thinks for a moment. "Is she linked with the isles?"

"She is enveloped in a black veil restricting her from talking or even showing emotions." She starts. "The light stone only negates it in a small area."

The man crosses his arms. "Let me guess, you left it to her?"

"Yes, she even gave me a drawing." Senna takes out a piece of paper with a smile while ignoring her husband's glare.

Lucian takes a look at the drawing before throwing it back on the map. "We are not doing charity Senna, our duty is to fight the Harrowings."

She looks into his eyes, dead serious. "I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation, Lucian. Can you remind me how many Sentinels survived a fight against Viego?" He frowns. "That's right, two. You and me." She takes the drawing and puts it back in her pocket. "We are talking about a girl, who looks not older than 15, fought against Thresh and Viego while on the Shadow Isles, and won." She counts on her finger to emphasize her argument.

"I... see." Lucian puts his hands on his hips, thoughtful. "But what if she has a reason to help Viego? Or what if she just gets corrupted?"

Senna puts a hand on his shoulder. "While she might not be human, she does have a soul."

"So not a spirit." He nods.

His wife looks at the isles on the map. "Her soul is stronger than any soul I have seen in my short life. She will not be corrupted."

He kisses her on her forehead. "I trust you."

"Of course you do."

---

"AH!" "Here!" The joyful cries of the children fill the air as they all run after a ball.

Kaba and Kamui follow them, the man to make sure that nothing happens to them, the girl because her magic keeps the ball into reality.

There are no specific rules, they just shoot in the ball and run after it.

Kamui sighs, they are shooting into a handball.

"Uh?" "Where is it?" The children look around in confusion as the ball has vanished before them. "There!" Niyah points at the knight who has it in her hands.

They all rush toward her and stop before her outstretched hand.

"(Hand)" She mimics a prince asking for a dance and Niyah understands. "(Hand. Ball)" Kamui grabs her hand and gives her the ball. "(Handball)". The petite blonde materializes another ball and throws it to show them how to play.

*Crack*

She flinches as the ball goes in a straight line toward the nearest tree, damaging its bark.

Kaba pinches the bridge of his nose as she looks away.

'Damn, those trees really do look like trees.' She thinks innocently.

She feels the man's hand on her shoulder. "Sorry." She adverts her eyes even though he made her face him.

"Just don't do it again." He shakes his head, picking up the fact that the knight did learn some words.

He shows her his hand. "That is a hand." He smiles at her.

"Hand." She nods, catching the ball send her way and passing it to the muscled man without looking at him.

He throws it back at the children, but misses them all, some jumping as they try to catch it.

"(Oof)." Kamui whispers as Levar falls face-first on the dirt.

Kaba joins the circle of children that has formed around the boy to make sure that he is okay.

The boy is sitting on the ground, his knee scratched.

Kamui squats before him and passes her hand over the wound, making the boy flinch as water cleans it. She then ties a white cloth around his knee and goes back to where she was waiting, alongside Kaba.

"HELP!" They all hear as Kaba starts sprinting in the voice's direction.

Kamui glances at the children and gestures for them to come closer to the houses.

They all talk, asking each other what is going on.

The answer comes out of the forest, a creature half shark, half crocodile appears and stumbles ungraciously in their direction.

"Haikroko!" One shout as they run toward the village center.

Going in the opposite direction, Kamui walks slowly toward the animal.

And as it jumps to snap at her head, her armored hand goes through its throat, killing it in an instant.

The children are not choked by the gore as they are familiar with preparing the fishes after their parents come back from fishing. They are choked by the way the girl before them killed it, mercilessly, fearlessly, effortlessly.

There was nothing that the haikroko could have done to stop her from ending its life.

She walks back in their direction with a nervous expression, not that it is easy to notice.

But they do not flinch or step back in fear when she reaches them, the younger ones even grab the hem of her dress to try and hide.

She pats them and gently pushes them away before walking in the same direction as Kaba, the children following closely.

On the square, they witness the mastodon crushing one of the haikroko's skull with the local blacksmith's hammer.

Kamui vanishes from the children's view and appears before the last animal, grabbing its up and down jaw with both hands and ripping its head open in an explosion of blood and brain matter.

Now that everything is calm again, Kaba walks toward the children after talking with another villager. "Bring her water and soap please."

The other man nods before approaching Kamui and bowing. "Please follow me."

He gestures for her to follow him and she does as asked, blood dripping anywhere she goes.

While Kaba makes sure all of the children are safe and sound, most of them look at the knight in awe.