Part 21

The first night was a bit awkward, only due to the fact that I was incredibly nervous for some reason. It's not like it was my first time here, even Fiddle greeted me like an old friend. But the tour of the apartment was different this time. Less 'so here's the bathroom' and more 'here are some towels I put out for you'.

Not to mention getting to the bedroom and seeing that they'd emptied out a few drawers for me so I wouldn't have to live out of my suitcase. And of course, there was the bed. This was also not a first, since we'd spent the night together at my hotel. But a hotel bed and Kai's bed are two very different things. They offered to take the couch, but it felt silly so I refused.

It was only when we took Fiddle for a short walk around the neighborhood that I started to relax and get more comfortable with the whole situation. The conversation was easy, as always, and fresh air also worked wonders. By the time bedtime rolled around, I didn't even think twice about crawling under the covers next to Kai. They read a few chapters of a book while I quickly fell asleep, feeling safe and secure.

--

I awake to the sound of panting next to my ear - a sound I'm definitely not used to, so it freaks me out for a second while I get my bearings. As I open my eyes, reality arrives and I remember where I am. Turning my head, I'm greeted by a very happy Fiddle who's sat by the bed with his head on my pillow.

The adorable sight makes me laugh and I scratch his head between his ears. "Good morning to you too," I smirk and sit up on the bed. My head hurts a little, but it's a dull pain that I've gotten used to. Kai's side of the bed is empty and for a moment I wonder if they've gone to the lab already. But then I hear it - the melodic humming coming from the kitchen.

I've already learned so many things about Kai and so far, it's all good. Like the fact that they have a massive book collection and like to read before bed. And that they talk to Fiddle as if he's human and sometimes even answer for him, which is both funny and cute. And that they'll get the same song stuck in their head for days and hum it constantly without noticing.

I'm fairly certain that I've also heard this melody before, but I'm not musically inclined so I wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I get out from under the covers and make the bed, Fiddle helping in the process by retrieving the one single throw pillow that they apparently use as decor on it. I walk to the bathroom and stop in front of the mirror, trying to smooth my frizzy hair down before brushing my teeth and washing my face. The haircut isn't doing me any favors but luckily I can sort of hide the wound with hair.

Walking back out to the bedroom, I look down at my shorts and t-shirt and decide against changing out of them. It's not like I'm really planning to go anywhere anyway. With Fiddle by my side, we exit the bedroom area via the sliding door-wall contraption that makes it feel like a separate room without it really technically being one.

Kai turns to face us at that, a big smile on their face. "Good morning, sleepyhead. Speaking of, how is the head?"

Fiddle has already had his breakfast and goes to the half empty bowl of kibble to snack some more while I take a seat at the kitchen island. "Morning," I answer, smirking at their enthusiasm. "It's good, stop worrying," I add, not even bothering to mention the tiny ache that's always there. That is to be expected after brain surgery anyway.

"I didn't know if you're a savory or sweet breakfast kind of woman, so.. I made eggs and bacon and also waffles and fruit," Kai says, turning their attention back to the stove where I can see the final strips of bacon cooking.

I look around, noticing a bowl with something that looks like batter in it and a waffle machine next to it. "Wait, you made waffles? You don't just mean that you took them out of the plastic and tossed them into a toaster?"

Kai turns their gaze to me at that, not smiling anymore. "I'm very serious about my waffles," they say with a straight face before a small smile breaks through again, making me chuckle.

"Who are you.." I say, more to myself than anything. I guess it's good that one of us knows how to cook since I am a disaster in the kitchen most of the time.

"Is that a rhetorical question or are you having amnesia from your surgery?" Kai smirks, bringing the pan over and sliding a few pieces of bacon onto a plate. I almost feel guilty for just sitting there useless, but it doesn't seem like I have anything to do either, since the kitchen island is full of food already.

"I think your name was Kai.. something?" I joke, reaching for a waffle. Who says I can't do sweet first and then savory. Besides, I absolutely have to try these since they made them from scratch. For me. The thought still baffles me.

"Eh, good enough," Kai shrugs with an amused look and places a cup of coffee in front of me. I don't even have to ask to know that it's done just as I like it. Even though I'm always the one to bring coffees, Kai also has my preferences memorized. Theirs is kind of hard to forget, because I don't know a single other person who takes four sugars in their coffee.

I look at the selection of fruit, trying to come up with a winning combination for my waffle when Kai walks around the island and turns the swivel bar stool to face them. I smile expectantly as they lean in and cup my face, kissing me senseless. My head gets dizzy for a moment and heart picks up the pace and I pull them closer, enjoying their lips thoroughly.

Fiddle presses himself between our legs and we eventually break away from each other while laughing at his sudden jealousy. "Now that's how you start a good morning," Kai smirks, sitting down next to me, purposely adjusting their bar stool to be closer to mine.

"Well, yeah.. You're a great kisser, but those raspberries are the real winner to me," I tease them, reaching for said fruit. I've decided on a berry combo for my waffle and that's exactly what's missing.

"Just for that, I'm gonna eat all of them," Kai shakes their head, fake-offended by my statement. They take the raspberries out of my reach and I laugh, trying to steal some for me and obviously failing because I'm tiny in comparison.

Kai laughs at me, finally giving in and putting the box down. "I'll accept a deal. One raspberry for one kiss," they say then, looking very pleased with themselves.

"Sounds good," I nod, grabbing the box and pouring the contents onto my plate. Two can play this game after all. Holding up my end of the deal, I lean in close to kiss them again. A good morning indeed.