Epilogue

"I still vote that you deliver the speech. It's your name on the lab," I shrug, simply wanting to avoid getting up on the stage. Knowing me, I'd make an awkward joke that no one would laugh about and then continue rambling through the rest of it. But Meredith thinks that since we all did the work, we all should accept the award.

Honestly, I'm just glad that the surgery worked and David seems to be doing better every day. We still don't know the long term outcomes and he is now our number one test subject, but I feel like my part of it all has been done and a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

"If we even get the award," Mer reminds me, to which I simply roll my eyes. A former colleague on the committee literally told her to prepare a speech and she's still in denial about it. Honestly, so are we all. We cured Parkinson's. Hopefully. If nothing goes wrong with David. I'm almost tempted to call and check on him when a hand appears around my waist.

Kai reaches out a glass to me and I take it with a smile, already knowing and trusting that it's not alcoholic although it's identical to the champagne flutes everyone else is holding. "We're getting the award, Meredith," they smirk, obviously having heard the end bit of the conversation. I take a sip of my drink, which turns out to be ginger ale, and chuckle at the look my sister throws in their direction. It's quite like her to be nervous until the very last second.

Not that the award really matters to any of us. Yes, it's nice to be appreciated but seeing David recover is much more important. It holds hope for the future.

The host walks back up to the stage and we all take it as our cue to take our seats again. Tonight's gala is the first formal event any of us have been to since the pandemic and I must say, it's quite fun to play dress up and eat fancy foods for one night. Seeing Kai in a formal suit doesn't hurt either.

They sit down next to me and we all turn to look at the host who's listing the nominees for this year's 'breakthrough in medical science' award. It feels very humbling to be listed as nominees next to some amazing advancements in medicine and doubt creeps in for a second. Kai takes my hand and gives it a squeeze and I smile to myself, trying hard to focus on the long and unnecessary introduction the host is giving.

And then he says it. And even though we were all prepared and knew in advance, I still can't believe it. Derek would be proud, is the first thought going through my head. And while everyone is clapping and looking at us, I turn to look at Kai and smile wider when I catch them already looking back at me.

--

"I already miss you," Kai sighs and I bite my lip, reaching up to steal one more kiss. Leaving is becoming harder and harder every time I do it and I've seriously started considering moving to Minnesota. Especially since I got an offer for a job too. And David also needs further monitoring and testing.. But for now, I don't want to think about any huge life changes. Taking things slow for once is what I need for this to work.

"Just one week," I smile, pulling away slightly but still remaining in their embrace. I don't move even when Meredith returns, shoving her phone into her purse. She lifts an eyebrow and shakes her head at us.

"You two are impossible. It's six days, you'll live," Mer smirks and I do the math in my head quickly. She's right! Not even a full week. Meredith checks her watch and motions for us to get going.

"Like you weren't just calling Nick to complain about long distance," I roll my eyes. Giving Kai one more quick kiss, I eventually pull away, grabbing my bag from their hand. "I'll call you when I land," I say with a smile.

"And I'll answer," Kai chuckles. I turn to leave at that, managing just one step before I get pulled back into their embrace for one more kiss. I smile through it, loving how they can't get enough, much like me.

"Jesus.." Mer mumbles next to me. "We're gonna miss this flight!" she exclaims then, heading towards the gate without me. Laughing, I give Kai's lips one more peck before hurrying after my sister.

"Look at us, sister lady chiefs. Maggie is married, you're dating someone new, I'm dating someone new.. All is right in the world," I sigh happily, putting my arm around her shoulders. Mer looks at me with an amused smile before shaking her head, not going along with my giddy nonsense.

We walk a few more minutes like this before another thought creeps into my head. "Scout's gonna like them, right? They'll get along and it'll be perfect," I voice my thoughts, biting my lip. Kai's visit to Seattle is long overdue and although they've met my son, it was very brief and under pretty bad circumstances. But Link has learned to accept things now and it seems like the right time for this visit.

"Scout loves everyone, he's the happiest kid," Mer calms me down quickly. I know she's right, but well.. my brain loves to overthink things. "Ellis on the other hand.." she adds laughing. I laugh as well, trying to picture how that'll go. Ellis is the most opinionated of the bunch so there's really no guessing this.

"Zola is going to love them. Someone to have intense discussions over this world's biggest issues with," Meredith continues. "She already asked about Kai's pronouns and taught them to the little ones." She has always been wise beyond her age so I'm not even surprised at that, but the thought still warms my heart.

"Besides, no point in worrying now. You have a full week to do that," Mer smirks then. We finally come to a stop and I throw her a look.

"It's six days. You just said that. And I counted," I argue back. A very important detail when it comes to missing someone. With our hectic schedules, time will probably fly. But right now it feels too long.

"Ugh, you're so in love," Mer rolls her eyes at that, acting disgusted. She can't fool me though, I've seen how she looks at Nick. But out of the two of us, Mer is the one to hold back more when it comes to showing stuff like that.

My phone pings and I check it quickly, seeing a message from Kai.

I might just sleep until next week to make time go by faster. So if I'm not answering your texts or calls, that's why. I'm fast-forwarding.

I laugh at the message, earning another look from Mer. She lowers her eyes to my phone and chuckles at that. "Whipped," is her only response, further proving her earlier point.

"Yeap," I nod, not even bothering to argue with the truth. "Whipped."

________________

Whoop, this is bittersweet, but this part of their story has come to an end. BUT. I may or may not be writing a sequel. I was hesitant for a while, because well.. a story can't be all fluff and cuteness and happiness but I also didn't want to throw in unnecessary drama. Still, I've decided that I love writing these two too much and so I will give them some struggles to (hopefully) overcome.

With that being said, comment here if you have anything that you'd definitely want included in the sequel or anything like that. I do have a general storyline and I will say as a little sneak peek that the sequel will be mainly from Kai's pov, with some chapters switching it up. But I'll do my best to accommodate to your wishes as well.

Thank you for reading and voting and commenting and sharing and supporting. This has been the most fun I've had while writing a story and it's all thanks to you.

See you soon for the next one!