Chapter 23: The Full Story

I clench my teeth in pain as the unknown person drags me through the small forest. I glance behind me and see Chatot dodging branches in a desperate attempt to catch up to me. I squeeze my eyes shut and take a deep breath as I stumble clumsily through the undergrowth. I try to tug my wrist from the person's hand, but their grasp is too tight and my arm screams in pain. Tears hang on the edge of my eyes and I quickly blink them away.

Bright light suddenly blinds me and I look up to see a clear blue sky above me. I tilt my head towards the ground, trying to catch my breath. The person lets go of my hand, but I don't look up. I hear someone shuffling around and I see a pair of black tennis shoes. Chatot lands on my shoulder and glances at my arm. I notice the bandage growing a deeper red. My gash must have reopened. Chatot bends down to whisper in my ear.

"Dawn...it's Paul." My head jerks up immediately and I see him standing there with his head lowered and his hands stuffed in his pockets. I cautiously take a step back, but he raises his head to look at me. He doesn't wear the scowl he usually has, instead he has a blank expression. We stare at each other for a few
moments before I tear my gaze away.

"What do you want, Paul?" I mumble quietly while staring at the clouds drifting across the sky. He opens his mouth to say something, but can't find the words. I hold up my hand to stop him.

"I know. You want to know what I'm doing here, where I've been, and what happened that night." I say, rubbing my arms nervously. I glance at him.

"There is nothing I can explain to you. You wouldn't believe me." I say regretfully. His expression turns cold.

"What do you mean there is nothing to explain?" he growls. "You disappear a year after you return home only to reappear five years later with the ability to turn into a pokemon, and you say there is nothing to explain? I want answers, Dawn. I have been searching for them for so long and I want them now." He glares at me. I sadly shake my head and sigh. Chatot chirps quietly and I rub his head.

"You want my answer that badly?" I ask slowly. His expression confirms it. I turn and walk towards a tree at the edge of the clearing. I sit down and lean my back against it. Paul walks over and leans against the tree, crossing his arms.

"Might as well start by telling you about that one day..." I start, remembering that day five years ago.

*Flashback*

I sit up abruptly, panting after waking up from my nightmare. Piplup stirs slightly.

"...Piplup?" he looks at me sleepily. I give him a smile and rub his head.

"It was just a nightmare, Piplup. No need to worry." I say soothingly. He sighs and falls back asleep. I fall back onto my bed and stare at the ceiling. That was one weird dream. I was in a forest when everything suddenly caught fire. I remember the smell of burning wood and the smoke filling the air. I shiver and sit up again, looking out my window at the full moon. I look back at Piplup's sleeping form and smile. He looks so peaceful. His eyes suddenly fly open and he springs out of bed, shouting frantically.

"Piplup! What is it?" I exclaim. He points a flipper at the door and I see an orange glow flickering beneath it. I notice an unusual aroma fill the air. My body freezes.

"It's a fire! Piplup, stay here and protect the others invade it spreads. I'm going to see if mom is okay." I tell him sternly. He salutes me and waddles back to my bed. I quickly throw on a black shirt and jeans. I slowly open my door. The heat increases and the light grows in intensity.

I creep to the end of the hallway and peer down the stairs. The fire seems to be coming from the kitchen, but I notice two silhouettes in the living room. I carefully make my way down the stairs and peek around the corner. A man with short black hair has my mom pinned against the wall. My mom is grabbing at the man's hands in an attempt to pry him off. The man chuckles menacingly.