Chapter 41: Silently the Tears Fall

I shield my eyes from the harsh sunlight when we emerge from the cave. I gasp when I take in our surroundings. Everything has changed. The sky is a blazing orange and the sun has increased in heat dramatically. I start sweating immediately and I quickly take off my sweatshirt, allowing my tight fitting pink shirt to finally be exposed after days of not taking off my hoodie. I stretch casually, my muscles sore from punching Maxie and hanging off the ledge. When I stretch my shirt exposes my stomach and I notice Paul blush slightly. A smirk forms on my face and I quickly bring my hands down again.

We glance around the area, trying to pinpoint where Groudon went, but we have no luck. Why does this have to be so hard? I sigh in exasperation before Chatot squawks in surprise. He smiles at me apologetically and points a wing behind my head.

"Sorry," he says. "But I had to get your attention. Steven is coming to greet us." I turn around and smile as Steven flies in on a Skarmony and hops off onto the sand. He nods at me and turns to look at the sky.

"Looks like they managed to succeed after all," he mumbles.

"No duh, Sherlock," I mutter, crossing my arms. May smiles and punches me lightly in the arm. I pout and turn my head away, muttering under my breath. Chatot snickers, but quickly shuts up after I glare at him. I smile wickedly and turn back to Steven.

"What do we do now?" I ask him. He glances at me and puts his hand on his chin. His thinking pose. I roll my eyes and tap my foot patiently as he decides what to do. After waiting for a few moments I growl and throw my hands into the air.

"Take your time, Steven. It's not like the world is going to be destroyed or anything," I say sarcastically. I'm still fuming about Maxie and my patience isn't the best in the world. Steven glares at me and sighs.

"It looks like Groudon is heading to Sootopolis City. We should head there immediately and talk to my friend Wallace. He knows about this more than I do," He explains. I'm about to ask him how to get there, but he whistles and his Skarmony comes and picks him up, taking him in the direction of Sootopolis before I have the chance.

"Okay, just leave us to surf then," I hear Drew grumble. May pokes him in the arm and shakes her head.

"We can fly, remember?" she tells him. Drew brightens up and takes out a pokeball, releasing an eager Flygon. He flaps his wings and hovers above the ground a few inches, smiling at Drew and May.

"Take us to Sootopolis please, Flagon," Drew says, petting his head.

"Sure!" Flagon exclaims happily and lowers onto the ground so Drew and May can climb on. They get on and May waves to me before flying off. I realize it's just Paul left and I glare at the ground, rubbing my arms self-consciously. I can't face him. Not after what happened, not after what I said. Chatot chitters nervously, but I give him a weary smile before glancing up to see Paul take out Salamence. Chatot lifts off my shoulder and takes my hoodie, unzipping my backpack to stuff it inside. I smile, but quickly return my eyes to the ground when Paul looks up at me.

I continue staring at the ground, even when Paul walks in front of me and I refuse to speak a word. He sighs and takes a step closer, gently lifting my chin up so I can see his face. It is only at this point that I notice tears streaming down my cheeks. He frowns at me and I notice sadness flash in his black orbs. Before I have a chance to ask him why he pulls me into a hug, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist. Sobs rack my body as I let go of all that I have been holding in. I bury my head into his shoulder and he strokes my back comfortingly, occasionally playing with a few strands of my cobalt blue hair. I finally have the courage to talk after a few moments and I just let the words come out.