Chapter 15

When Rose got back to the flat Lloyd was just waking up from his nap. Nathalie had had a lie down on the spare bed in his room whilst he napped and had also managed a brief sleep. Helen kissed Rose warmly and asked her if she had had a good chat to Delma.

“Yes, thanks Helen, we had a good catch-up, it was really kind of you, as ever, to bring Lloyd and Nathalie home.”

“No problem at all, I count time spent with Lloyd and Nathalie as pleasure. Now, I have to go as I’m seeing a good friend for afternoon tea. As soon as Miles has made the arrangements and forwarded them to me, I’ll call you, is that ok?”

“That’s fine,” Rose concurred. “I’ll make sure we’ve got all Lloyd’s stuff together in case its an early set-off in the morning. Do you think Miles will be picking us up?”

“I’m sure of it, “said Helen. He’ll use one of the limos. She frowned, “I had better remind him to make sure it has a car seat in it. I’ll call him.”

“I hope we don’t get noticed by anyone at the Aquarium,” Rose shared her concerns with Helen. “If we’re all spotted and recognised there’s bound to be another spat with the media.”

“Yes, that had occurred to me too,” said Helen. And I suspect that Miles will try to either get us in early, before most of the crowds arrive or right at the end of the day, so that we’ll be the last through. I think that Setons have used the Aquarium for business meetings in the past; they have some kind of conference rooms I think.

Sometimes, if Miles has a particularly important meeting or business deal in the offing, particularly with foreign clients than he often chooses locations across London, using landmark buildings and locations. Which probably means that he knows the management there and may be able to call in a favour or two for the business put their way.”

Rose remembered Miles setting up such meetings too. She was glad Helen had reassured her about security; her previous fears that Miles would try to snatch Lloyd as part of a custody wrangle seemed farfetched now, but nevertheless whilst there was still even a small amount of interest in her and Miles, she was nervous about Lloyd’s safety.

Rose really did have to catch up with some work that afternoon so Nathalie suggested that she take Lloyd to Hyde  Park for some fresh air and to feed the ducks. It was a cold day but crisp and clear with one of those brilliant blue winter skies, perfect for a stroll in the park as long as you were well wrapped up.

The flat could become claustrophobic and it had been especially so over the last couple of days, given the tension over preparing for Miles’s visit. Lloyd loved throwing bread for the ducks and  Rose agreed Nathalie should take him but suggested she was  accompanied by one of the security staff that Kleinberg’s had vetted and hired for her.

Sometimes Rose and Nat preferred to know that they were just being discreetly followed and watched by security, but when Nat went out alone with Lloyd, they had both agreed she should have some kind of bodyguard accompany her.

Nat particularly liked one of the guards called Jojo; of all the staff they had been sent, he was the closest in age to Nat and was working as a bodyguard to help pay his way through law school. They had really hit it off, Nat felt safe in his company and Jojo had got to know Rose, Lloyd and Helen well. Luckily he was available to come that afternoon.

Once they had set off, Rose briefly watched them walk towards the park, Nat pushing the pram whilst chatting away to Jojo. He was a good looking young man, black, well over 6’ tall  and in the peak physical condition necessary to fit the demands of working in personal security. He wore his hair closely cut to his scalp, a recent change from the cornrow braids he had had when they first employed him.