Chapter 5

This chapter is dedicated to VioletSwan who designed my book cover for me.

In the end, Miles had stopped agonising about what was the right thing to do and had decided to fly to London on the first available flight, with the full intention of seeing his son as soon as he was able. Once he had set himself on a course of action there was no stopping him and his only focus was to see his son. He had an overwhelming belief that once he had done this, all else would fall into place.

Before he left, he called Bill Campbell to set up a quick meeting; he wanted Bill to investigate something for him in his absence.

Hi, Bill, it’s Miles.”

“Miles, good to hear from you, I’m glad you called, I need to update you on Lloyd and Rose. I had a discussion with Kleinberg yesterday and he told me she has declined all financial assistance from you, including paying for additional security. Kleinberg insists there is adequate security already in place and that she can afford it He also said they’re pursuing an injunction to stop Pink! publishing any more of the pictures of Lloyd and are investigating suing the photographer for breach of privacy.”

Miles sucked in his breath.

“OK. Well, if that’s what she wants I guess it’ll be difficult to change her mind. But keep lines of communication open as best you can. If Kleinberg make any overtures whatsoever I want to pursue them.”

“Understood,” Bill replied.

“What I’m thinking is that once I’ve met face to face with her, security for Lloyd can be part of the package for negotiating access to him.”

Bill paused, wondering what exactly Miles had been up to.

“Have you already set up a meeting with her?” he asked.

“Not yet. That’s partly what I called you about. I’m flying to London this afternoon. I’m going to try and speak directly to Rose and arrange a meeting. Initially I’ll agree it on whatever terms she wants, but I want it to happen sooner rather than later.”

Bill thought this through quickly. He knew that Miles was desperate to see Lloyd now that he knew he was his son; Miles was used to getting his own way but he had never been faced with such an emotional set of circumstances as this. From the short time Bill had known Rose he knew that she also was pretty determined and would not easily bend to the Seton will, particularly given the acrimonious way Miles had split from her. As his solicitor, Bill felt bound to advise Miles to be cautious.

“Miles, as your lawyer and your friend, can I please advise you to take someone with you when you meet with her? Preferably someone you both trust or know? How about Helen? She and Rose got on well together didn’t they?”

Miles could see the advantage immediately, and appreciated Bill’s perspective. He was right of course, Rose was bound to be nervous around Miles, as she should be, he thought grimly.

“OK, I’m going to call my mother after you; I’ll run it past her.”

“Bill, there’s another reason I called; I need to see you very briefly before I leave for London. It has to be in person, I have something to hand over to you, it’s really urgent, linked to Rose and Lloyd, and I need you to sort out an investigation for me. Where’s best for you?”

Bill was intrigued, he wondered if he was finally going to find out what had caused the rift between his client and Rose. He agreed to drop by Mile’s flat before he left for the airport.

Bill had worked with Campbell and Ross, the Seton family and business lawyers, since graduating from law school, as his Dad had before him. His Dad had advised Miles’s father, Alistair Seton and Max’s father, Francis Whitlock, right from the beginning of the Seton property empire. Bill had known Max and Miles all his life although he had not been nearly as close to them as they had been to each other. Miles trusted Bill implicitly; in almost ten years of doing business together Bill had not once been indiscreet despite being party to almost all of Miles’s business affairs.