Chapter 18: He Doesn't Care... Does He?

POV: Nolan

Porter performed his testament again, this time before the Alpha. Apparently, we needed permission to help out a pore, helpless, skulk. If it wasn't for Damien, and my back, I would have already killed the lot of those fuckers. Damien is, after all, the third in command in the pack, so he's a stickler about the rules. Jackass.

Chance and Maven had quite the same reaction as we did. Furry, and anguish was evident on their faces. Like the parents they were, they felt for the child and were ready to go to battle for him.

"Well, that is after we review our treaty with the foxes."

"Are you serious!?!?" I screamed. What a bunch of assholes! "This skulk is being raped and murdered! And you want to review a fucking contract!? What kind of inconsiderate assholes are you?!"

"Calm down Nolan! We have to follow these rules!" Maven yelled. Chance placed a hand on his shoulder. His stretched stature of intimidation, with his outstretched hands, extended forward, settled with his sweet touch.

"Nolan, we understand the urgency, but affiliating ourselves with a species other than our own could lead to major consequences. Not only from fox shifter representatives but all species of the supernatural council. It is treason to interfere with other species without permission from the council. Please, Nolan, we will contact them right away. Make Porter comfortable, we will update you soon." He stepped before the desk.

Chance became a very good friend of mine after the Amber ordeal. He understands me and I understand him. I help babysit, and to alleviate some duties of being Luna, as well as helping Damien with his training duties. I have become a valuable member of the pack, all while not being a werewolf. Some council we have. Azayrians that is, we help those in need, and we most certainly don't wait for permission. Anyway, he went around the desk and his mate and stood in front of me.

"We will be able to help, Nolan. Please, don't worry."

"Alright. Call me when you get an answer, please. Common Porter, let's get you some grub." I was feeling lower than defeated, I felt helpless.

The kid listened well, following after me, and even reached for my hand. So cute. Not like Damien. He stayed after for a minute. We waited by the door, for some reason, until he exited. When he did, he looked at me with a slight hint of surprise and just a pinch of worry.

"Let's go, you need to eat too." Without looking back I knew he hesitated before following. After moving through the halls, we exited through the main doors, then we traveled in a straight line. Porter held out his other hand to be held by Damien. At this request, he scoffed, then slowed his pace to walk behind us. Another asshole werewolf.

After arriving home, Damien rested on the couch, leaning back with a sigh. I instructed Porter to do the same. Then, I used the TV remote to play some kid's channel. It seemed to occupy Porter enough.

Ah, my lovely, clean kitchen. What should I make today? Cereal? Oh, um, I may be able to make grilled cheese. Hopefully, I won't cause a fire, today, anywho. Simple ingredients for a simple dish with a simple, non-life-threatening, process to create it. Easy. Right?

I gathered the ingredients, I buttered the bread, all I had to do was to light the stove. The dial was set to 'off', to create a flame I needed to hold it over 'ignite'. turning the black dial, it clicked over and over and over again, but to no avail.

"Stop." A voice echoed behind me. Suddenly there was a hand on mine and warmth against my back. A shiver ran down my spine, lingering around my stitched wound, almost like a kiss. The hand on mine turned the dial back to off. Then it moved to my hip, along with the other. "Are you trying to burn down the house?"