Chapter Two - One Death Will Bring Light

Silverpaw was padding along after Emberpaw, the leaf-fall morning dew making her paw fur wet. Blackwhisker and Graymask were already waiting in the small clearing used for training when Silverpaw saw them.

"Okay, what we'll do first is practice the hunter's crouch. Silverpaw," Graymask looked at her apprentice, "you know the basics of this since Ripplepaw has shown you how to do this before."

Silverpaw's pelt was hot with shame since Ripplepaw wasn't supposed to show her - or any kit - moves or hunting positions. Still, she dropped down into the crouch, which was near perfect, and looked to her mentor. Emberpaw mimicked Silverpaw, only a little bit more unbalanced.

Graymask nodded to Blackwhisker. "You must show her how to balance herself. Otherwise she won't-"

"Blackwhisker and Graymask?" A meow called. "May I borrow one of your apprentices until sunhigh?" Ambersky walked into the clearing, a few leaves on his pelt.

Blackwhisker and Graymask looked at each other, and Graymask answered. "You may take Silverpaw." Silverpaw felt disappointment run beneath her silver striped white pelt, but she got up and walked over to Ambersky. Emberpaw shot her a look that, with moons of knowing each other, Silverpaw understood: don't ask him about it. Silverpaw nodded almost imperceptibly and followed Ambersky out of the clearing.

"We are running low on tansy, sorrel, and raspberry leaves. I'll look for the sorrel, since you aren't trained to spot the differences between sorrel and dock, and you look for the tansy and raspberry leaves. Tansy is a flower with round yellow leaves and a strong, sweet scent. You'll know what it is once you see or scent it. Raspberry leaves are easy, pretty common, just find the berries and make sure you don't eat them: you could find deathberries or holly berries. The leaves are soft and have jagged edges," Ambersky explained. "Got that, Silverpaw?"

Silverpaw tried remembering. Tansy is yellow with a strong scent. Raspberry leaves are soft with jagged edges. "Yes, I think so," she said.

"Good. Try looking for tansy near the pine cluster around camp. I remember there was some there in newleaf." With that, Ambersky left on his search for sorrel. StarClan, tell me this isn't my destiny, she thought as she headed back near the camp. She had her own fear of being a medicine cat, since all she ever wanted to be was a warrior, like Emberpaw. Too much of her life was pointed that way, she sensed, like her strong faith in StarClan.

Immediately she caught the strong-scent of tansy and saw the bright yellow flowers. Carefully, Silverpaw nipped the stems close to the ground and left some flowers for it to regrow. I'm close to camp, maybe I should take them to Ambersky's den? I'll just need to be careful of Crowstep. She stood their for a few heartbeats then headed for the camp. Once she got to the trunk, she used her strong SkyClan muscles and landed neatly into the tree. A few cats watched her, StarClan knew why, as she entered the medicine den's storage, dropped the tansy on its pile, and left the den and tree. Just as she landed, Snowleaf called for her. Silverpaw looked up at her mother and waited.

"Get Blackwhisker, Graymask, Ambersky and Emberpaw. Honeystar is going to call a Clan meeting." her mew was edged with sadness.

"Okay, Snowleaf."

With that, the silver-striped white apprentice ran full pelt towards the clearing. Blackwhisker could be heard instructing Emberpaw.

"...little more to your other side, Emberpaw. You're still-"

"Clan meeting," Silverpaw puffed as she entered the clearing. The three she-cats looked at her for a moment before the mentors nodded. Emberpaw stood from her crouch and followed behind the two warriors.