Chapter Three - StarClan's Prophecy And A Half

Silverpaw awoke in a dense forest that smelled richly of prey. She then caught a painfully familiar scent, almost making her break down as a large, dark-furred tom padded out from some trees. Stars lined his pelt and his amber-red eyes held sympathy as he looked at Silverpaw. "Crowstep," she breathed. "Why can't I be awake for the vigil?"

"I said I would see you soon," mewed Crowstep. "And I know now what it is StarClan wants me to tell you. Your path does not lie with claws and fangs. However, it will have spilt blood on it, like any warrior's will."

Silverpaw watched the StarClan warrior curiously. Since she was here with him, she no longer had any reason to grieve until she was sent back to the hollow tree. "T-then where does it lie?" she asked hesitantly. She already feared she knew the answer.

Crowstep gave her a knowing look and nods. "I am sorry, Silverpaw," he pads over and rests his head on hers, "but it is as you feared, it is as you never wanted. You are to be the next PineClan medicine cat."

Silverpaw's head drooped a bit, but she would not fall with Crowstep's dark head on her own white one. "What if I disagree with StarClan? What if I stay as Graymask's apprentice and gain my warrior status?" she meowed rebelliously, the hint of a growl beneath every word.

Crowstep moved his head off the silver-striped apprentice and looked her in the eye with his amber-red stare. Silverpaw shivered under it's surprising coldness, then she saw his eyes shine with the start of tears. "Through no fault of StarClan, if you do that, you will be hurt beyond Ambersky's abilities and will be forced to be a medicine cat due to your disability. Cats will die because of this, whereas if you keep yourself safe by becoming Ambersky's apprentice before that, you will save those cats' lives."

"But I don't want to be a medicine cat!" she protested, her neck fur starting to bristle. "I want to have a mate, kits, and fight along side Emberpaw until we join StarClan!"

"She has a destiny of her own, one you will play a bigger role in if you become her medicine cat." Silverpaw was taken aback. If I become her medicine cat? Then Crowstep continued. "The dying ember of the scattered Clan, and the silver moonlight of the Clan's faith." Silverpaw caught the strange words in his sentence, not only the prophecy, but before she could ask what he meant, Crowstep suddenly stood and walked back into the trees he had entered the clearing from. Silverpaw's eyes snapped open, and she saw the moonlight shining through the trees, onto Crowstep's dark pelt. It gleamed a dark silver in the light, and Silverpaw looked out and into the dark sky that is dotted with warriors of the fallen ancestors.

"StarClan, why?" Silverpaw mewed. No cat looked at her, they must think she was thinking of Crowstep. The apprentice buried her head in her paws, but did not sleep until the fiery rays of dawn penetrated the tall leaf-less trees. She then slipped back into sleep, with dreams of being maimed and forced to learn herbs.

☂ ☂ ☂
Since this was short, and I really am sorry for that 😅, another short chapter will be posted to compensate. Hope you guys enjoy! Also, should I do short chapters like this and post every other week, or should I continue doing good-sized chapters monthly?