The Reply

I waited for hours, just for a reply. Every minute, I looked at my phone screen, hoping that a message from Joan would flash out prominently. I hope it would be a short and sweet reply, piecing up the broken friendship again. Though I was shocked and felt like it was the worst day of my life. Furthermore, Joan has been acting really weird for the past few weeks. She was afraid of something. Whenever I walked into her room, her hair would stand and her face would turn pale.

*ting* My phone rang and a series numbers flashed across the screen. I picked it up and answered. "Hello, who is this?" There were some whispers in the background before the person at the other end of the phone line answered.

"You need not know who I am. You do not know me but you should have seen me and I know what you have done, it is something serious and import--" A fierce and creepy man voice spoke through the phone.

"I am so sorry but I am really, really busy now. If you want to tell me something urgent, please speak straight forwardly and stop beating around the bush." I interrupted in a frustrated tone.

There was again silent whispers, as if voices of discussions. I could hear some. They were going like:

"...oh what should I say..."

"...just think..."

"...no more ideas..."

"...frighten... Don't..."

"...alright...but remember your..."

"...yes...now...i need to go..."

Then the discussion stopped. The voice went on and spoke through the phone again.

"Stop lying! You were there. You did that to her! You shouted at her and you did something really regretful. I know what you have done! How are you suppose to say a word 'sorry' to her! She is gone!"

I paused and looked at my phone again. It flashed 'Joan'. I was shocked beyond words. Why is there a change of voice? Who is it that is threatening me? What have I done? Is Joan in trouble? Questions of doubts flooded mind. I couldn't think properly. My mind was a total blank.