Those Are NOT MERMAIDS

Jack and I had been walking forever. Not literally, but practically. Forever. 

Wilson was nowhere to be found, and neither was Hayley. Plus, we were basically stranded on the island with no way out. And no matter how far we got away from each other, we would somehow find each other 30 minutes later. 

Jack and I had a plan of course though. 

1. Get out of here.

2. Find Hayley

3. Get Hayley to help us find Wilson

4. Get along with it

Simple to say, hard to do. 

Our ship, well, Jack's ship, was entirely wrecked. The hull had crashed into some pointy rocks along the coast, so it wasn't able to float anymore. All of our things (Jack's actually) had floated away into the sea and were now somewhere on the seafloor. We couldn't move on without Hayley and Wilson, but with no way to get out, it seems we wouldn't have to. They would probably find us one way or another. 

"So now what?" I asked. 

"We drink from coconuts and hunt for fish in order to survive," Jack replied. I looked around. There weren't many coconuts around here, and there was no fish around this island. 

"I don't think-"

"Yeah, yeah, I got it."

"JACK!" A voice called out in the distance, "JAX! OVER HERE!" 

Jack and I both snapped our attention to the voice. It was coming from near the shipwreck site. 

Sprinting as fast as we could, we headed for the shipwreck. 

"JACK! JAX!" The voice became more frequent as if they were multiple, and they called for us. With each step we took, they became louder and louder. 

A snap of knowledge came back to me. Why would there be multiple voices? Unless they were-

"JACK! SIRENS!" I yelled out. But by the time I had warned him, Jack was already struggling in the grip of two sirens. They had slimy scales all over their bodies, and their hair was woven with tiny fish bones and dead coral. Their skin was pale and their faces were gaunt and smiling deviously. They had forked snake tongues that slithered out when they spoke. 

"It has been a while since we have had a delicious man meal, hasn't it sister?" the first one spoke. Her scales were a blood-red color, the surprising shade to her pale looks. 

"Yes it has, but it would be even more delightful to feast on another." The other sister said. She had the same blood-red scales, but they had a strange aquamarine shimmer to them. She looked at me, her pupils a small teardrop with deep yellow eyes. 

My voice constricted inside of me and the woman started to sing. 

"Flower gleam and glow, 

Let your power shine, 

Let the clock reverse, 

Bring back what once was-"

"JAX SNAP OUT OF IT!" Jack yelled. The first siren slammed her hand over Jack's mouth. 

"Shut up you foolish boy."

The second siren smiled and opened her mouth to continue singing. My mind sprouted with a plan. One that had its risks, but those were worth taking. 

As she continued the song, my sister's song I soon realized, I pretended to slowly be put in a trance and walk closer and closer to the siren in the most sluggish way possible. I could see Jack's worried face out of the corner of my eye as the singing siren's smile stretched slowly across her face. 

The song ended and the siren grabbed my arm at the same moment I grabbed hers and twisted it, slamming it to the ground. She was on land and still had a fishtail which made her slower, but there were two sirens and only one of me. The other siren hissed and threw Jack to the ground and dragged herself to her sister who was writhing on the ground. Her veins bulged, but instead of a normal green, they were crimson red, and it seemed as if blood was streaming across her face.

I looked to where Jack had been, but now he was a crumpled mess on the floor. Apparently, the siren had dropped him so hard that he had been knocked out. Was that even possible?!

I ran to Jack and tried to pick him up, but he was way too heavy for me to even lift a few inches. The sirens were slowly regaining their strength, which was adding even more suspense to the situation, but I made an attempt in throwing Jack into the water, so he would be a little less heavy. At first, I expected him to start sinking, but he held up, as a murky figure emerged from the water. 

Hayley, in all her glory, emerged, water streaming down her face. 

"Jax! Jump in and take these," Hayley placed a couple of pieces of coral in my hand, "Put them in your mouth and start swimming. I'll throw the sirens off your trail." She got out of the water and her tail wore off leaving her wearing shorts and a bikini with a thin white crop top over. The sirens snapped their attention to Hayley and they hissed. He looked back at, "Go!" 

I put the coral in my mouth, and it surprisingly had no taste at all. I jumped in the water, dragging Jax with me leaving a trail of bubbles behind. Once they cleared, I started swimming away from the shore. Little shafts of light streamed through the deep blue. Fish swarmed me in groups every once in a while, and Jack was surprisingly light, as the water lightened his weight. Blinks of light glowed far below and instead of regular fish, merman and mermaids were swimming to and from the spot. They weren't creepy looking like the sirens, but not humans though they could be. 

"Jax!" Hayley was coming back, in her mermaid form once again. 

"So don't freak out, but welcome to the underwater kingdom of Atlantica."