12: Twelve Metres of Tinsel

Shoutout again to @amiva0402 for guessing today's riddle in the comments of last chapter

Shoutout again to @amiva0402 for guessing today's riddle in the comments of last chapter. Tomorrow's is at the end.

______

Sunday: December 12th, 2015

"Morning," Jasper greeted me at the entrance of Winter Wonderland on the twelfth day of Christmas. His eyes twinkled a little brighter this cold morning, and I couldn't stop the smile slipping on my face to see his gaze looking a little more like the friend I used to know.

"Good morning," I replied.

"Good? It is cold... and early."

Scoffing, I said, "When do you normally get up?"

"On weekends? Eleven."

"Sleepy head."

"When do you get up?"

I hesitated momentarily before answering. "I was up at six today."

His eyes narrowed. "And back in Australia?"

Pausing in step, I glanced his way before turning back to the path ahead. Muttering under my breath, "Eleven," I took off in haste through the crowds towards Santa's Workshop to grab our riddle.

∘◦ ❈ ◦∘

We hadn't even made it out of Winter Wonderland when Jasper started unravelling today's scroll, tied together in gold ribbon adorned with small, wintery houses.

I held my hand out for the ribbon and Jasper cocked an eyebrow. "I'm collecting them," I defended. Each day I had been shoving the ribbons into my bag as momentos to take back home with me.

Smirking, he grabbed my hand, pulling me closer to him. Leaving my arm hovering in mid-air, he began tying the ribbon around my wrist before he glanced up at my eyes. After staring at me a little too long until I forgot how to breathe, he finally turned his attention back to the riddle.

Taking a deep breath and clearing my throat, I huddled close to him to peer at the paper myself.