27: Twenty-Seven Jealous Accusations

Monday: December 27th, 2015

I'd be lying if I said things didn't feel a little awkward when we made eye contact the next morning on the twenty-seventh day of Christmas. But once he pulled me in for a hug and I was consumed in his smell and hold, all awkwardness went away. I felt closer to him, just through our intimacy over the phone. So I knew I wanted to do more before I left. I wanted to tie myself in many ways as possible to Jasper before I didn't know if I could see him again.

After spending a good part of the morning walking around Stratford mall, window shopping, we eventually ventured outside to a nearby park to eat our doner kebabs. Despite the fact it was nearing 0°C.

"What do you think their story is, Fish?" Jas asked, pointing at an elderly couple sitting on a bench not too far away.

This was a game we always used to play—people watching with crafted stories. "They got married in their early twenties and had children who grew up. But what Francesca never told Roberto is about the secret affair she had when he went off on a business trip many many years ago. She keeps a picture of this man—Alfred—shoved in her underwear drawer to remind her of the times she was young and alive."

"And why did she never leave him?" Jas pressed, amusement colouring his face.

After taking another bite of my food, I then said, "Habit? Familiarity? It's not that she doesn't love or like Roberto. He is her longest friend. It's just the passion isn't there anymore."

At that, Jas grabbed my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "We will never be like Francesca and Roberto."

"Good," I said, smiling up at him. "Your turn."

"Pick someone out for me, Fish."

Glancing around the park, I tried to find someone interesting for him. A little ways away, my eyes zeroed in on them and I pointed their way. "The two youngish guys that way. The one with the blonde hair and the other with the curly brown."

"The ones who look like models?"

I nodded, but not long after I described them, both turned to look our way.

Immediately, Jas and I averted our gazes. We were way too far away for them to have heard us, but we didn't want to get caught gawking.

"That was almost awkward," Jas laughed.

"Well, go on. But don't stare."

"Okay... so their names are Luke and Beau."

"Which is which?"

"Hmm... Beau is the dark-haired one and Luke is the light-haired one."

Sneakily, I glanced their way once more to remind myself what they looked like. But the dark-haired one was still staring at us, making my eyes widen and my gaze immediately whip away. "They're still watching," I whispered.