Chapter 8: That Dreadful Talk

When we get to my house I go straight to my kitchen and get some food, I hadn’t eaten and I was starving.

“Do you want anything?” I ask Damon remembering that he didn’t eat lunch either.

“No, i’m fine but thank you.” He says in with this polite voice that he uses sometimes.

“You sure? You didn’t eat at lunch.” I asked trying to brace myself for what I am about to do.

“Yes, i’m fine. I had a big breakfast.” He laughed to himself.

“Okay, well if you get hungry just help yourself, okay?” He laughs and walks up and grabs me by the waist, I know that I’m procrastinating. I need to just talk to him about it.

“I’m fine, okay?” He smiles and kisses me on the lips. I pull away, knowing that he can’t be holding me when we have this conversation.

“So, Damon I wanted to talk about that day…” I look down nervous that I finally had the courage to ask him about what happened the day I started remembering who he was.

“Rose…” He steps away from me so that he could look me in the eye.

“Damon, don’t avoid it. I can’t put it aside anymore. That was weird, and I didn’t think about it or bring it up, but I think it’s time you told me what the hell is going on.” I look up and stand there staring into his eyes.

“Rose, it’s a lot to explain..”

“I’ve got time.”

“It’s not something that I can just casually tell you.”

“Then show me, explain it, draw it, I don’t care just do something to help me understand what has happened and who you are. Please Damon.”

“Do you trust me?”

“What?”

“Just answer, do you trust me?”

“Yes, of course but Damon if you keep hiding things, I don’t know if i will be able to anymore.” He turns around, his back now facing me.

“Rose, the one thing I ask of you is for you to hear me out, and let me finish before you freak out.”

“What do you mean freak out? What, are you some sort of serial killer?” I say dryly.

“It’s complicated but i’ll tell you everything. If you’ll let me.”

“Okay, i’m waiting.”

“Rose, telling you what I am, is me pretty much digging your grave for you. It’s a death sentence for you to know.”

“What in the hell do you mean ‘what I am’?!” I yelled at him with so much force that it even made me flinch.

“Rose, just let me explain. It’s not something that I can control, it wasn’t my choice. I was unable to control what happened.”

“What are you?” I wasn’t scared of what he was about to tell me, then again I didn’t really feel anything. I simply just needed to know.

“It’s hard to just flat out tell you.”

“Fine. I want honesty. What’s your name?”

“Damon Blackwell.”

“How old are you Damon?”

“I am 157 years old.” I gasp, and I begin to pace around trying to not to lose it. How can he be 157 years old? People don’t live that long. And he looks like he is barely 18! He can not be that old. Who in the hell is this guy!

“I’m not even going to get into that right now. But why do you look 18?”

“It’s like i’m frozen at this age, but i’ve been around for 157 years.”

“Okay, now clearly if I haven’t freaked out already, I won’t. So, Damon what are you? How can you be 157 years old, yet still look merely 18?”

“I-I-I… um”

“Okay, let’s just start with how can you be 157 yet look 18?”

“I already told you.”

“Well, say it again.”

“It’s like i’m frozen in time, i’m stuck at this age.” I’m trying to register this but I’m freaking out and honestly I don’t know if I should believe him, should I? I mean he kept whatever this is from me. I tried to be nice and give him space before but now I just need answers, and that’s what I’m going to get.

“Why are you stuck at that age?” I say, my voice shaking.

“I’m… let’s say immortal, I don’t age with looks or my body. I’m dead.” What?! What does he mean dead? Immortal? This sounds like a bunch of stuff from a movie. How can he be dead, yet alive at the same time? I begin to pace around the room again, I turn around and look at him. I look into his beautiful blue eyes, then look at his black messily made up hair, and I examine every inch of his body, trying to decide if I should believe this man? But not just any man, my boyfriend. How could I have been so blind? How could this be true? I have so many questions in my mind yet I can’t seem to get one of them out, I can’t speak. The one thing i’m trying to decide is whether to run, or stay and talk to him. The one thing I manage to get out is the question that sums this all up.  

“How?” I said with so much curiosity and fear that you can hear it in my voice. It’s not that i’m afraid of HIM, it’s that I am afraid FOR him and what the world really is like if he is really telling me the truth right now.

“What do you mean how?” He looks at me with a puzzled look, as if that was a sily question.

“How are you immortal or whatever. Define immortal. Like What in the hell are you?” I look at him. What does he mean immortal, like that’s not specific enough. Damon looks away from me with a pained expression on his face, he then takes a deep breath and looks up into my eyes.

“I’m a vampire.”