Chapter 4: Jess

I look up at him, and he is looking at me. I open my mouth to speak but no words come out. The problem is that I don’t know what to say to him. I have so many questions, but this is too much to handle.

I turn around, and begin to walk away. He grabs my arm, “Rose, please say something.”

“I have nothing to say to you right now, I just need to get out of here. I need some time to think, to sort through all of this.” I look at him with pleading eyes, he gets the hint and lets me go.

I run to my car and before I know it, I’m crying. I didn’t realize until now that I was really starting to fall for him. I can’t fall for him, I’m just going to end up hurt. I mean he has kept all that stuff from me, how can I trust him? I mean considering the things he kept from me. I don’t want to think about this anymore so I drive, not to our spot though, I couldn’t bear to be there now. I drive to the one place I haven’t been to in a long time. I go to my mom’s grave.

I get out of my car and walk up to her headstone. I stand there staring at my mothers name Isabel Renee Jacobs.

“Hi mom” I sit down in the grass next to her grave.

“I miss you, It’s been so hard not having you here. I really need your help right now, I miss your advice. You see I just learned things that, well, I didn’t really want to know. I don’t know exactly how he did it. I’m assuming you know who HE is, well in case you didn’t, it’s Damon. I don’t know if I believe it, that this could even remotely be possible. Mom, you should have seen it, it was like there was a wall and when he looked into my eyes and told me to remember, it collapsed and revealed everything. I’m scared to say outloud what I saw mom. I mean it’s crazy, right? This can’t be possible. We didn’t meet before when you were still alive. How could this be true?”

I curl up into a ball and cry. I cried like I never have before, I cried like I did when my mom was killed.

     --------

When I got home, it was already 9, so I headed upstairs and closed my door. I didn’t want to think about Damon so, I called up Jess.

“ Hey girl, whats up?”

“What are you doing tomorrow after school?” I asked casually, sitting down at my desk.

“Hmm, well now hanging out with you!” I laughed at that.

“Okay, do you wanna go to the mall?”

“I would love too!”

I hung up the phone and set my alarm.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring. I quickly shut it off and got out of bed. I looked at my phone and saw that I had 7 missed calls from Damon and 10 new messages from him as well. I ignored my phone as it began to buzz with the picture of Damon on it. I went downstairs to see that my sister had already left.

That’s weird, she always makes me breakfast and greets me in the morning. I sigh and make my own cereal.

I got to school right on time. I walked into class and saw Damon, I had to fight the urge to turn and run away.  I sat down right next to him in my assigned seat and for once since Damon came to this school, I actually payed attention to Mrs. Howe.

“Rose, please talk to me.”

“I have nothing to say to you, Damon.” I said his name with so much venom that out of the corner of my eye I saw him flinch.

“Please, you must understand. The things you know, I only made you remember because you are in danger.”

“So, you’re saying if I wasn’t in danger, you wouldn’t tell me.”