1 | Job

Isabella's POV:

"What do you mean you can't fly out here for the break."

"Carlos, I told you. I can't afford it."

"What about money from your mom-."

"No, I'm done taking money from her. She's done so much to even get me into the program. I'm not gonna ask her for more." I heard a sigh through the phone and my boyfriend finally talks again.

"What if I give-."

"No Carlos, I'm not taking any money from you either." I said in a stern tone and he huffed in annoyance.

"You don't care about me, do you!"

"Carlos-."

"I've done only nice things for you, and now I want to see you again. You can't do the tiniest thing for me." Of course I feel bad, I haven't seen Carlos in almost 6 months.

He comes here, instead of having me travel to Toronto where my mother stays. Whom I haven't seen in almost 3 years.

"Carlos, I'm trying. I told you I applied as the nanny from some money-."

"How much do you make?"

"They didn't disclose too much information over the phone."

"Seriously, this is fucking ridiculous."

"Carlos I'm so-." But before I could apologize to him, he ends the phone call and I'm answered by silence.

I love Carlos, and we've been together for years. The only problem I have, is that he can often be mean. I know it's his anger issues, but sometimes I just can't handle it.

I flew out to New York to finalize my lawyer career. It hasn't exactly been a walk in the park, but it's a work in progress.

I got into  my program with a student loan and tuition. But the money spent to come here, get a place and what not was all done by my single mother. My father was gone a little while after finding out my mother was having a baby.

He wasn't there during her times of need, she hates him for that. He hasn't reached out or even contacted someone maybe just wanting to see his daughter once.

I walk off campus, walking straight to the bus station nearest to the school. I take my bus card out ready to pay. I put my card into the machine taking a seat on the bench I always do. A couple other students get on the bus and it starts to roll away to the next destination.

I watch my phone get a message and I almost immediately read it.

Unknown : I need you to come in today.

Me : But I have a class today..

Unknown : You said you would make time in your schedule. I need someone who is serious about this. It's my kid I'm talking about.

I sighed looking out the window.

It's just one class right..

Me : Ok, I'll be there at 7, just text me the address.

I thumbs up the message of the address and put my phone back in my pocket. I'm great with kids, and that's one of the main reasons I actually even took the job. But what if the kid is too hard to handle.

What if they're always loud, or they don't like new people.

Well I guess my answers will soon be answered.

I got out of the 20 minutes bus drive and start walking to my apartment.

~~~

I took the bus to the nearest bus stop to the address the man who's daughter or son I'm babysitting. He told me his name was Max, but I doubt it. No one names their kid Max.