Chapter Eight: Atom

Brielle and Bellamy fall into a deeper sleep knowing the other person is there, until they hear a scream

"No!" Charlotte screams in her sleep.

Bellamy gets up quicker than Brielle does. "Charlotte, wake up."

"I'm sorry." Charlotte says.

"Does it happen often?" Brielle asks joining the pair.

Charlotte sighs, giving the two the answer.

"What are you scared of?" Bellamy asks but Charlotte looks hesitant to answer. "You know what? It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what you do about it."

"But... I'm asleep." Charlotte says in a confused tone.

"Fears are fears. Slay your demons when you're awake, they won't be there to get you when you sleep." Bellamy explains to the young girl.

"Yeah, but... How?"

"You can't afford to be weak. Down here, weakness is death, fear is death. Let me see that knife I gave you." Bellamy says sticking his hand out.

Charlotte grabs the knife Bellamy gave her from her pocket and hands it to him. "Now, when you feel afraid, you hold tight to that knife and you say, 'screw you. I'm not afraid.'

Bellamy gives the knife back so Charlotte. "Screw you. I'm not afraid."

"Screw you. I'm not afraid." Charlotte says this time with more confidence.

"Slay your demons, kid. Then you'll be able to sleep."
Bellamy says as he pats Charlottes shoulder.

Bellamy moves back over closer to Brielle.

Brielle looked at Bellamy with a shocked face.

"What?" Bellamy asked with a slight laugh.

"You can be such a nice person, why do you choose to be such an ass?" Brielle asked.

"That's what leader has to be, I can't be sweet to everyone. No one would listen to me and nothing would get done." Bellamy explained.

"I guess that's true, but still you can be nice to people sometimes." Brielle said.

"I am nice, to certain people." Bellamy said looking away.

"People you care about." Brielle said showing she understood what he meant.

"Yeah, Anyways, come back over here I'm cold." Bellamy said opening his arms.

Brielle moved over to Bellamy resting her head on his chest tracing patterns.

Bellamy plays with Brielle's hair attempting to braid it but failing.

"Goodnight Blake." Brielle said.

"Goodnight Sunshine." Bellamy said.

——————————————————————————