Chapter 2

A month past, there was the odd occurrence of my nightmares, the waking up in sweats. I continued going to the support group, the others understood my situation now. Some were still hesitant, but they supported me just the same. I noticed how nice it was to open up, and just have a group of people to vent too.

The best times were spent at my bar, with Steve and his regular visits. He hadn't stop coming since the first night he found me there, and he had made a new friend in Stan. He would sit there, sipping on his whiskey and just talk for hours with him. Oddly, he had quiet a lot in common with Stan for some one 50 years or so younger. They laughed and drank, poor Stan couldn't keep up. Most nights Steve took him home, Stan singing some jazzy tunes from the 40s.

When Stan wasn't there, Steve would sit and ask me endless amounts of questions. He was really good at getting me to open up, surprisingly he knew a lot about me but I didn't really know much about him.

"Steve, can I ask you something for a change?" He tilted his head, intrigued he nodded. "How old are you?" I frowned at his cheeky grin, he couldn't have been more than 30, and if he was, well damn.

"How old do you think I am?" He rested his chin on his knuckles, his eyes staring up at me.

"That wasn't the question, Steve. Come on, you dodge my questions all the time." I poured his drink, it was around his 7th and it had no effect on him whatsoever. "You know nearly everything about me, even the fact my middle name is Gwendolyn. I don't think I've ever told anyone that willingly." He laughed causing his whiskey to dribble down his chin, sliding him a napkin as I held my bottom lip between my teeth holding back my smile. Honestly, the man was such a dork sometimes.

"Gwendolyn is a beautiful name." He cheerily retorted, smiling as he finished in one swift gulp. "Well, how about a deal?"

"A deal? Hmm. Lay it on me." I placed my elbows on the bar, resting my face in the palms of my hands. I felt adventurous with Steve, honestly I could feel him bringing out a side of me that I had hidden behind closed doors, for a long time.

"Let me take you on a date." His words rang in my head, a date with him. "I'll answer everything you ask me, I promise." I lifted my face from my palms, turning away from his gaze. "Willow..."

"Hm?" I couldn't look at him, why couldn't I look at him? It took every ounce of strength to turn and face him. He stared at me, a worried expression crossing his face. "Okay." I finally blurted it out.

"That was quite a long pause... It's because I'm not that unappealing, isn't it?" I couldn't help but burst out laughing at him. This man needs to take a long hard look in the mirror, because if I was brave enough he would be laid across my bar right now. My face felt hot, turning red for sure at the thought of him naked in my presence.

"No, you're not bad on the eyes." Could he see right through me? My face definitely giving away the fact I was attracted to him. "So this date, when will it be?" I asked, eyebrow raised as I gathered the last of the glasses, the bar quiet with only the two of us there.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at 7. I've got just the perfect place." He tapped the table with his hands, obviously feeling proud of himself.

~

The perfect place, where did he mean? What the hell was I meant to wear? I chucked my clothes around my room, something casual I guess. He didn't seem like he would take me to a fancy restaurant, that wasn't him. Jeans and a grey tank would be fine. Whipping up my hair in ponytail I looked at the time, he would be here any second. I felt my chest tighten, the butterflies flying around in my stomach felt more like a swarm of bees. I hadn't been on a date in years.