Chapter 4

The crisp pine scented air filled my lungs, fingers intertwined in Steve's large hand as we walked looking for the perfect tree. "We should get one for the bar as well?" I cheered, my free hand touching the soft needles of the passing trees. I loved Christmas time, everything seemed perfect at this time of year. Steve's rugged beard catching snowflakes, so glad I begged him not to shave it off.

"Okay, I guess we could." Steve secretly enjoyed the fact my whole house had turned into a Christmas wonderland. Even catching him humming to the carols I would play relentlessly. "That means double the decorations, so we will have to make a quick stop for some more."

"Good idea, I thought we should get Stan something. Maybe a nice scarf, or a bottle of whiskey?" I stopped looking at this beautiful tree, slightly leaning to the left but the colour a majestic emerald green. "What about this one?" Steve looked up at the tree, than back down to me. He and the tree towering over me.

"It's perfect, I'll get this one and you try finding one you like for the bar." I nodded, slowly letting go of his hand and walking in the other direction. The endless amount of tree flooding over me. Only enough room for a small tree in the bar, I started my hunt. The cold wind starting to pick up. Pulling my jacket closer to my body to keep myself warm. I wandered around as a bunch of little kids sped past me. I watched them play with their younger sibling, remind me of Rosie and I at that age.

Christmas was always the best, we would stay up late watching movies and drinking hot coco with our parents. I remember the smell of mum cooking a roast, rosemary filling the house. Mistletoe hung from the banisters, the tree lighting up the family room. We were all happy back then, the four of us. Snapping out of my daydream, I continued my hunt. Finally finding a petite tree, perfect for the bar.

I didn't want to dwell on the past, not this Christmas. Steve had already made it better, his romantic streak never fading. I watched as his frost covered beanie poked out around the corner, his smile widening as he locked his sights on me. "Look what I found." He held up a beautiful wreath of Mistletoe, like he was reading my mind. "Now every time you open the door I can kiss you." He proudly said, pulling me in by the middle of my back for a soft peck.

~

As we left the smell of the pine still lingering on us. Picking stray pine needles from the shoulder of Steve's sweater, his eyes lingering on me. "Watch the road, Rogers." His gaze snapping back to the winding road, even though I wish he could stare at me like that all day. "Steve?"

"Willow..." His voice mimicking mine, his playful smile stretching out into a curious pout. "Hey, what's up?" His hand finding mine, the softness outweighed the rough callus. His hands changed since we first met, they were always worn out and sore. His face had become softer, a little older. The tension rested on his back loosened but he was still always on guard for something bad to happen.

"I love the little bubble we are in, I really do." I watched his eyebrows arch, the wrinkle above his brows more visible. "But..." He let out a sigh, like he knew the 'but' was coming and he was dreading it. "I would love to meet Nat." The words taking him by surprise, he loosened his grip on the steering wheel. "She's known you for such a long time, and I just think we've been dating for well over 6 months. Isn't it time I met her, considering she's practically your family?"

"You want to meet Nat?" This nervous laugh leaving his mouth, "Willow, I thought you were going to say we need a break."

"Seriously?" I laughed, dumbfounded that he would jump to that conclusion. "You can't get rid of me that easily." I shook my head, grabbing his hand in mine again, "I just want you to have everyone you love at Christmas, I want you to enjoy yourself." Looking across at him, I couldn't believe that he would think I wanted to leave him.

Suddenly Free (CURRENTLY STOPPED 🛑) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara