575 BC Babylon

"Phastos, did you go to that party last night like I told you?" Ajak walks into the room and asks him.

     Phastos scoffs. "The party? Yeah. Yeah, it was..."

     "He worked all night," Druig snitches.

     "Who was talking to you!" Phastos spits out.

     "Get a life," Ajak tells him. "And where is Sersi?"

     "Late as usual," Sprite rolls her eyes.

     "I'm sorry, but I have something very exciting to show you, okay? Wait till you see this," Phastos begins. The framework of a new machine floats on display. The invention confused Ada. It all looked like a bunch of metal scraps. How was it supposed to do anything? She did never fully understand he was able create these things. But knowing Phastos, she knows it will be good.

     "What is it?" Ajak examines the invention.

     "It's an engine. It moves steam from high pressure to low pressure. Uh, uh, it'll help them till their fields at an incredibly fast rate."

     "It's gonna freak them out

     "It's gonna freak them out..." Sprite tells him.

     "I mean, they only have had the wheel 1,000 years, so..." Druig comments.

     "You know, we could do that thing, you know, where you use your mind to control them and then they could do it quicker."

     "Ajak, are you listening to this?" Druig whines.

     "Phastos, this steam..." Ajak begins.

     "Engine. It's a steam engine," he corrects.

     "It's too soon," she comments, then Sersi comes running into the lab, "And there she is."

     "What did I miss?" Sersi asks.

     "Nothing, just the screams of my deep disappointment..." Phastos tells her.

     "I am sure you have something simpler," Ajak mentions.

     "Simple. Okay, let's see. Uh... Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...the plow," he tells them after taking apart his original idea, unimpressed with the machine. 

     "What's it do?" Ada asks innocently.

     "It's a plow, Ada, it plows dirt," Druig deadpans.

     "I'm sorry, I don't remember asking you Druig." Ada turns to Phastos only for him to shrug, nodding towards Druig.

     Druig laughs in her face. Ada uses her abilities to shove him off the back of the table he was sitting on. She smiles at the look of complete shock plastered on his face. His mouth hung open in surprise.

     "Ada..." Ajak scolds in a motherly tone.

     "Sorry," she tells her, hiding her amusement.

     "I'll get you back for that!" Druig projects into her mind, ensuring Ajak couldn't hear them.

     "Sure you will..."

     "I met another group of settlers who are building their homes in the northern fields. They'll need to plant their own crops," Sersi mentions, trying to make Phastos feel better.

     "Thanks, Sersi."

     "Listen, humanity may be coming along slower than some of us want. But there's no telling what wonders they will discover as they advance.