[ Chapter One ]

"You're going to be late!"

"I know that, Kurama!"

It was a bright sunny day in Konoha. The people inhabiting the village hidden in the leaves were feeling rather good today as civilians and shinobi alike wandered about in their business.

Though, one particular genin, infamously known as Naruto Uzumaki did not share the same sentiment.

"Sakura is gonna kill me!" he thought to himself as he ran towards the meeting spot that Team 7 had established during their squad meetings. He can imagine the pissed-off look set on Sakura's face once he arrives and he hoped that he wouldn't get clobbered to the ground by her brutal swing.

He had been careless enough to not wake up to the sound of his alarm blaring across his room, but Naruto was known to not be relatively punctual, and so just throw it to the wall like he always does countless times.

If it weren't for Kurama yelling that he had a meeting today, who knows what Sakura would do.

When he reached his destination, Sakura could be seen tapping her foot impatiently on the floor, hands on her hips as she scowled at a nervous Naruto.

"You're late," she simply said.

"I know, I'm sorry," he apologized, rubbing his neck with a sheepish smile.

"Well, it's not like Kakashi-sensei is the wiser," Sakura noted, which made Naruto sigh in relief, but his relaxation quickly retreated once Sakura shot him a glare. "But you're not off the hook. You shouldn't be late, Naruto!"

Naruto pouted but nodded anyway. At least Sakura didn't punch him as he expected.

Sasuke just rolled his eyes. Now that they're all here, it's going to take a while for their sensei to come, much more if he's busy with something trivial as his 'path of life' he says.

It took almost two hours until Kakashi finally showed up in a swirl of leaves, still stuck in his reading. It often irked Naruto and Sakura whenever he has that book in his hands. Honestly, it's embarrassing.

With the usual scolding from Naruto and Sakura, Team 7 eventually went on their way to the Hokage Tower due to being summoned by Tsunade for a mission.

"I wonder what's our mission today?" Naruto wondered as they enter the tower and climbed the stairs that lead to the office of the Hokage.

"We'll know when we get there, Naruto," Sakura replied with a small smile. It stretched months for the Haruno to warm up to her blond teammate for her to speak normally to him, less than not be annoyed with him all the time, and by the time she did, Sakura and Naruto became pretty good friends afterward.

Sasuke is nonetheless distant, but he's getting there soon enough.

Kakashi knocked on the door to signify Tsunade of their presence and a faint come in was heard until he pushed it open.

Tsunade can be seen examining scrolls and reports on her curved, wooden desk with Shizune faithfully standing beside the woman, her brows drawn together in concentration as her hand held up her head.

She moved her eyes off from the manuscript to the team when she noticed their appearance. "Great, you're here, I have a mission for you four,"

"What is it, baa-chan? Tell us!" Naruto was feeling very excited, grinning from ear to ear.

But his grin fell as Sakura smacked the back of his head. "Naruto, be patient! Sorry, Tsunade-sama, please continue," she smiled sweetly, causing Naruto to shiver with fear with how easily she can switch emotions in a second.

Tsunade didn't seem to mind, only smiling a little in amusement at their interaction. "Don't worry about it. Now, Kakashi, I want your team to do an investigation into this case,"

"Aww..." Naruto hung his head in disappointment, assuming it would be a mission filled with exhilarating action, but perhaps he'd been getting his hopes up for nothing.

However, Tsunade smirked. "I'm not finished. Apparently, for the past few days, people have been filing reports of black shadows running around at night. I needed you guys to check it out and - hopefully - capture whoever is causing trouble," she added.

Naruto's enthusiasm rekindled and he pumped a fist into the air. "Oh, hell yeah!"

Sakura sighed and Sasuke responded with a hn as usual. Though, they were glad to have this assignment too, considering how the past few weeks were them simply putting up with the daily tasks of civilian work.

To Team 7, it is incredibly boring and they required a little bit of exercise to hone their skills.

After a minute of briefing on their mission, the team left the Hokage Tower. The four decided to go on to their homes to pack up for the trip since the village they are traveling to is miles away from Konoha-they have to be somewhat prepared for anything after all.

Naruto walked to his apartment, ignoring the mumbles and whispers from the residents as he passed by. He was over about the insults years ago, yet, that doesn't mean it stung to his heart any less.

Still, no matter the rumors or slurs, he will always see the brighter side of things. One day, Naruto is going to change their minds that he isn't the monster that everyone saw him be.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

thanks for reading my story! ^^
if possible, please leave a comment of what you think about the chapter, either a compliment or criticism, it motivates me :D

have a lovely day! 🌻