PART 4

Jake and Abigail sat on her couch, talking. They spoke about what music meant to them, how it had changed their lives, and what it might come to be in the future. Hours passed, the rain still pelting the window nearby with drops that seemed to be coming down at an angle.

Abigail rested her ankle on Jake's knee, hoping to herself that she wasn't overstepping a boundary.

"My Pappy was insistent that my name be what he picked out. Abigail was the name they initially wanted, so that made my middle name Dawn." She explained.

"You know what's so beautiful about that?" Jake asked.

Abigail rested her other leg on his knee, getting more comfortable. "What?"

"The dawn comes after the night. Dawn is the time that bears the sunrise. He could have called you Abigail Dawn because you were truly his sunshine. His dawn. His light after darkness. His granddaughter." Jake rested his hand on Abigail's leg, settling down deeper into the sofa.

"That cheeky old man." She laughed. "I bet that was the reason. He always had something profound to say about life."

"He was philosophical." Jake stated, "A thinker."

"I talk about him a lot." She said. "What about your brothers?"

"I talk about them a lot, too. Interviews and fans." Jake scoffed. "It's a lot of attention."

"I feel like you're a bookworm-slash-nerd trapped in the body of the hot-slash-popular guy." She suggested.

"You've had to have heard that 'opposites attract', right?" he asked with air quotes.

Abigail nodded.

"Well, that's kind of like me and Josh. He's the outgoing, loud, center of attention. I'm not the same. Sure, I can handle it, mainly because my best friend and literal twin was in the spotlight-but there's got to be a point where I'd rather just sit at home and read than to go to a party." Jake confessed.

"You're so open about your feelings." Abigail noted. "That's a good trait to have."

"Not usually. You just feel safe to talk to." He said, using both of his hands to tap a small rhythm on her legs.
"You do too, Jake." She smiled. "You're a nice guy."

"I appreciate that." He said. "You're an amazing girl."

"You're also very complimentary." She laughed.

"What can I say?" He said, throwing his hands up "My mama taught me right."

"What is the dating life of a rock star like? You must be tied down all the time." Abigail pressed.

"You're funny." Jake scoffed.

"I'm serious." She said.

"Do you believe in love at first sight?" He asked.

"I asked my question first." She said.

"The way you answer this question will tell me how I can answer your question." He laughed.

"I don't know." She said.

"What about it do you not know?" He asked.

"What exactly is love? What exactly are we calling first sight? The exact first sight or within the first few days? You have to spell this out for me." She laughed.

"Love is the genuine liking and proclivity for another person."

"That didn't help."

"Okay. I guess maybe..." He trailed."If you care about someone and would do anything for them. That is love."

"Okay."

"So I, personally, would consider 'love at first sight' to be the ...love... within a small period of time between meeting and becoming good friends." Jake answered.

"By that definition, I would say yes." Abigail said. "So now answer my question."

"What was your question?" Jake laughed.

"What's your dating life like as a rock star?" She asked, again.
Jake smiled. He rested his elbows on his knees and placed his face in his hands. He sighed as he spoke. "It doesn't exist, to be honest. It's not because I don't try. I've had plenty of girlfriends. I just haven't found someone that I would consider the love of my life."

"Do you think that touring and doing what bands do impedes that?" She asked.

"By no means. If anything, it would help. I actually get out into the world and talk to people." He said. "You're not good at hints, are you?"

"Not at all. Why?" She laughed.

Jake exhaled. "I'm not the type of person to just bluntly express this, but you're not gonna get my hints." He laughed before continuing. "I think you're pretty. I think you're smart. I would like to get to know you and if you would like, maybe in the future we could..."

"OH!" She said, slapping his shoulder playfully. "I'm not dumb, I swear."

Jake laughed. "So?"

"Jake, I'm not the person you'd want to date. I'm emotional, messy, clingy, and worst of all, I can't take a hint."

"Nobody is a perfect person. Trust me, I have my own issues, too. If you're willing to work with me, I would be willing to work with you." He said with a small smile and glanced up at Abigail.

Abigail looked out the window. It almost seemed like the rain had let up the smallest amount. She smiled. "That sounds agreeable."