PART 10

Abigail shivered under the blankets in the bed that usually Jake would be sleeping in, but had surrendered to her. She thought about the crazy day she had experienced, and how at peace she had felt with the difference out of her normal routine. Laying her head down on the pillow, she smiled. She and Jake had finally made their relationship official. She closed her eyes, hoping to sleep, but her mind was racing. Her mind brought up the coffee shop, the rainy day in her apartment, and the pair underneath the blanket in his treehouse. Something about this boy made Abigail's heart race.

She turned over away from the window and turned off the lamp on the bedside table. The house was quiet. It must have been in the wee hours of the morning. The rest of the party had to have been asleep. She tugged the collar of the shirt that Jake had lent her above her nose, taking in the scent of sandalwood and vanilla mixed with fabric softener. It smelled like Jake, but also different from him. It smelled as if it was one that he hadn't worn in a while. It was a plain grey tee shirt. She had also borrowed a pair of sweatpants from him.

Abigail was half asleep when she heard the window behind her creak open. She quickly sat up and turned around to see Jake, one foot inside, one foot outside.

"Jake?" She laughed.

"I didn't want to wake you but I need my hairbrush." He said, knowing he'd been caught.

"There's a door." She said, pointing to the door across from her.

"I didn't want to wake you." He laughed, crawling the rest of the way inside.

"One, I wasn't asleep. Two, wouldn't opening the window and planning a grand scheme be just as noisy?" She laughed, wrapping her arms around her knees.

Jake rustled through a drawer in a desk and grabbed a hairbrush. He combed through his tangled hair with the brush, making a slightly pained face. "The only con of having long hair." He laughed.

Abigail smiled as she watched Jake brush his hair. He shut the window and headed toward the door. "Jake!" Abigail called.

Jakes turned around and pursed his lips.

"Where are you sleeping?" She asked.

"The couch." He said.

"It's not comfortable, is it?" She laughed.

"Not at all." He giggled, resting his hand on the doorknob.

"Want to..." she lost her words.

Jake smiled. "I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"You're not making me uncomfortable." She said, scooting over.

Jake walked over, and sat down at her feet. Abigail crossed her legs, criss-cross applesauce style. Jake smiled as he rested his hand on her foot. "You don't think we're moving too fast, do you?" He asked.

"I don't think so. Do you?" She responded.

Jake shook his head. "I don't want this to end badly. I desperately want to make you as happy as you make me. It's completely unfair."

"Who said that you don't?" She asked, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear.

Jake flattened his lips. He thought about an answer as he chewed on his bottom lip. "Abby. You are an amazing, intelligent, and down right drop dead gorgeous woman. I don't know how I got the courage to chase you out of that record store but...damn I'm lucky I did." He said, shaking his head.

"You say that, but you're the one who is legitimately famous. There are fan pages dedicated to you. You are several people's dream man. You are insanely talented. Your smile is one that I would kill someone to see. I can't imagine why you of all people would be nervous to talk to little old me." Abigail laughed.

Jake laid back on the foot of the bed, rubbing his eyes. He laughed as he spoke. "I guess people get nervous when they speak to a personified goddess."

Abigail's brow furrowed. "Shut up." She laughed.

"What?" He laughed.

"I'll make you think 'goddess'." She said, hitting him with a pillow.

Jake grabbed the pillow and snuggled up to it. "What do you want to do tomorrow?" He asked.

"Isn't it already tomorrow?" She retorted.

"Technically, but I'm a firm believer that it isn't tomorrow till I've slept." Jake said.

"Well, let's decide that in the morning." She said. "Let's go to sleep."

Jake crawled up the bed to lay beside Abigail. Abigail took off her locket. "Anywhere I can put this?" She asked.

Jake took the locket and opened it up as he walked to put it on his dresser, finding the inscription and the single picture inside. He smiled as he turned back around. "You never told me it only had one picture."

"To be fair, I never told you it was a locket." She corrected him.

"You miss your grandfather." He stated.

Abigail nodded.

"He'd sing to you. Play that song." He said.

Abigail nodded again.

"I don't want to hurt you, so if you want, so I won't play that one if you don't want me to."

"Honestly, Jake, it helps. Hearing someone else's voice sing the song helps me realize that music isn't only from one person. Everyone can have their own spin on things. Everyone can have their own style of the same tune."

Jake smiled as he rested his head on the pillow.