PART 6

Abigail woke up to silence and the light of the moon shining through her window. She walked through her apartment to the living room, finding Jake with his feet propped up on the couch, reading the book that he started a few hours before. He didn't notice her presence as he turned the page. She noticed he had almost finished the book.

"It's three in the morning." Abigail giggled. "Have you just been reading this whole time?"

Jake sat the book down and smiled up at Abigail. "Yeah. Good book."

Abigail sat down as Jake moved his legs to make room for her. She noticed that the rain had stopped. She didn't know if she should mention it, she liked having Jake around. She laid her head on his lap, grabbing the throw blanket from the back of the couch.

"What are you doing?" Jake laughed.

"Getting comfortable." She said.

"You have a whole bed in there." He snickered.

"I'm not moving. Your lap is comfortable." She said.

Jake giggled, placing the book he was reading down on the coffee table. He combed through her hair with his fingers, beginning to braid it. Abigail moved her head to look at Jake. "What are you doing?"

"Ssh. Stop fussing." He said, tilting her head back to its original position. "I'm just braiding your hair."

Abigail giggled and held still. "You're pretty amazing." She said.

Jake took the hair tie from his wrist and secured the braid in her hair. "Come here." he said, pulling her closer to him.

She rested her head on his shoulder, sighing with comfort as she wrapped her arm around his waist. "You're so warm. I don't ever want to let you go."

Jake gave her a half-smile and kissed her forehead. "You're very endearing when you're half asleep."

"I'm serious. Something about you is pulling me in and it's not letting go." She smiled, nuzzling into his chest.

"That's good to hear, since I'm in love with you." Jake admitted.

Abigail thought for a second. "I'm in love with you and I don't plan to stop being in love with you."

Jake scooped up Abigail and stood up in one fluid motion. "Jake!" Abigail squealed.

He took her into her bedroom and laid her down on the bed. He removed his shirt and laid down on the bed next to her, pulling her close to him. He noticed how the moonlight from the nearby window was shining on her face. He traced the lines of the shadows on her face as he hummed the very special song.

"When did the rain stop?" she asked.

"About midnight." He answered.

"You stayed." She said.

"For multiple reasons, yes." He nodded, resting his head on his arm.

"What reasons?" She asked.

"I didn't want you to wake up and me not be here and think that I broke a promise." He said.

"The other reason?" She pressed.

"It was a good book." He laughed.

She smiled at him, looking deep into his eyes. She understood that this boy actually cared about her in the same way that she cared for him. She watched as his eyes shut and he drifted off to sleep. She covered him up with the blanket that was strewn across the bed. She turned over and fell asleep shortly after.

When she woke up, Jake was still asleep. He hadn't moved very much in his sleep, but she watched as his fingers feigned chords on an invisible guitar. She got up out of bed and began to make breakfast. She usually didn't feed herself at 9:00 in the morning, but he needed to eat. When the meal was almost finished, she heard rustling coming from her bedroom. She plated the food and sat it on the bar that she used as a table and poured some water into two glasses.

Jake walked into the small kitchen and smiled. "How's the prettiest person in the world doing this morning?" He said, breaking the silence.

Abigail shuffled through the drawer and pulled out two forks and sat them on the plates. She glanced up at Jake, his hair messy and eyes sleepy. "I don't know. How are you this morning?"

"I-" Jake's voice cracked. "I'm fine."
"I made us breakfast. I didn't know if you would eat in the morning, but we didn't eat last night, so I figured you needed to." Abigail said.

"Thank you babe." Jake said, sitting on the barstool.

Abigail sat next to Jake, fully understanding that she'd had a boy over for the night. It was the first time she'd ever done such a thing, but it felt right to have him over.

"How did you sleep?" Jake asked.

"You do weird things in your sleep." She giggled. "What did you dream about?"

"My question first." He laughed.

"I slept very comfortably. Safe." She admitted.

"I know that I play guitar in my sleep. My brothers tell me I do. I guess it's just a reflex." He laughed. "I didn't dream about anything, never really have,either."

Abigail took a sip of her water. "I heard that can make you go crazy." She laughed, pointing at him.

"So can being BULLIED!" He teased, gently shoving his shoulder against hers.