Part 11

Abigail shivered as the rain fell on the window. Lightning filled the sky, and thunder roared across the valley that she knew as home. The pale yellow light that was coming from the antique lamp barely brightened the room. She held his hand as she sat beside the bed, smiling down at him. The old man couldn't smile. He probably didn't even know she was there, but it helped Abigail to think that he did know. She reminisced about her childhood, all of the trips with him to the grocery store so he could get his fix of a chocolate pie. The old man was set in his ways, and if he wanted something, he got it.

The rain slowed as did her grandfather's labored breathing. She always knew this day would come, but it didn't make it any less heartbreaking. A tear fell from her eye as she sang.

"You are my sunshine...

My only sunshine...

You make me happy...

When skies are grey...

You'll never know, Pap...

How much I love you...

Please don't take..."

She couldn't bring herself to finish the song.

"Abigail..."

Abigail's eyes fluttered open, stinging. She realized that it was just a dream of the memory she lives with every day. She was back with Jake. "I'm up." She said, rubbing her eyes.

"Were you crying?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, but I don't know why. I guess my dream was pretty sad." She laughed.

Jake gave her a look of suspicion. "Are you sure?" He asked.

"No." She admitted.

"Would you like to talk about it?" He asked.

"Not exactly." She stated, sitting up. "What are our plans for the day?"

"Since you asked, I figured we could go up to this stretch of trail next to the old drive-theatre. It's a nice place to hike, and it shouldn't be too muddy." He smiled.

Abigail laughed. "The ground is wet and I'm mostly uncoordinated. If you think it's a good idea, I'm all for it."

"It shouldn't be too bad. The sun is already out, and by the time we get to the part that would be trouble it will be dry." Jake laughed.

Abigail shook her head. "Alright. I've just got to go home and get appropriately dressed."

The couple headed to Abigail's apartment, where she walked in and changed into a pair of denim cutoff shorts and a orange and red tie dye tank top. Jake, of course, was wearing jeans and a tee shirt, as if he was just going to the store.

They both got back into the car and Jake drove to the old drive-in. He parked next to an old tree. Next to the tree was a sign with a map of the trail. Abigail took a picture of the map, just in case. Jake put a backpack with water and other supplies on his back as they started their descent.

Abigail took in the nature around her with each and every step. Jake was right, the ground was mostly dry as she stepped carefully over sticks and rocks. They chatted during the hike, mostly about music. Abigail's steps still careful, she followed Jake closely. When a big step down would come along, Jake would go down first, then turn around, extending his arms out to Abigail. She put her arms on his shoulders and brace for the small jump down. She would look into his eyes and marvel in their beauty every time, each time they still took her breath away.

"We're almost there." Jake said excitedly.

"Where exactly?" She asked, out of breath.

"The second most beautiful place in the world." Jake said.

After a few steps, Abigail saw the clearing that Jake was referring to. In the clearing, she saw a small creek leading to a small waterfall. A patch of wildflowers bloomed alongside the creek, almost outlining the water in color.

Abigail blinked a couple times, taking in the scene around her. "Wow." She gasped.

"Worth the hike?" Jake asked as he sat the backpack down on a nearby rock. He got out of the backpack and old film camera.

"Definitely." Abigail said, walking to the side of the creek and bending down to touch the wildflowers. Jake snapped a few pictures of Abigail enjoying the clearing.

Jake laid down on the grass and motioned for Abigail to join him. Jake kissed her cheek as she rested her head on the ground next to his. He snapped a photo of the two of them in their pure bliss before setting the camera aside. He took her face into his hands and kissed her gently. "I love you with my entire soul." Jake whispered.