Chapter 9 : Kids In America

Senior Year: First Game of The Season

Lily

"We have to go!"

"No."

"We HAVE to go!"

"No means no Lily."

"REMUS," I whined. "Everyone is going!"

"So," Remus droned.

The first week of school had gone by quickly, and within that week, me and Remus became inseparable. Remus only talked to me, unless it was a witty comeback pointed at some douche who made a shitty comment about his appearance. It was obvious that the guys were jealous because he had won all of the girls' hearts without even trying. He was the new, hot, mysterious boy. Potter and Black were all old news, and Remus was the shiny, new toy. Girls basically threw themselves at him, but Remus was either oblivious or amazing at acting oblivious.

"If they win," I started with a mischievous smile, knowing that what I was going to say next was gonna change his answer, "There'll be a party with alcohol afterwards."

Remus pondered what I said for a while, then finally answered "Do we have to go to the game right as it starts?"

I rolled my eyes, "Alright I'll see you at my dorm at 5?"

"Maybe," he said with THAT stupid smile. The smile that made my heart skip a beat and my stomach feel butterflies. The smile that made everything in the room feel so distant, like it was just me and him. The stupid, lopsided grin that made him the talk of the school.

Realizing I was staring for too long I returned the smile and turned on my heel, heading to my dorm. The first varsity boys soccer game was tonight, and almost everyone at Hogwarts was going. The team was known for being outstanding. They were unbeatable.

I twisted the key to my room into the lock, and yanked open the door. Dorcas was sitting on her bed reading some gossip magazine.

"So, did you ask him to go to the party with you?" Dorcas asked, looking up from what she was reading.

"Yes," I managed to get out before Dorcas began to squeal, running to embrace me.

"Ah! I'm so proud of you Lily! I knew he liked you, I mean he only talks-"

"We are going as friends" I cut off Dorcas. So maybe I was planning on REALLY asking Remus to the party, but hey, going as just friends was okay. It was a starter.

Dorcas looked stunned for a second but quickly changed it back to excitement. "Well that's okay, cause maybe you'll show up to the party as friends, but when you leave tonight, you guys are gonna be a little bit more than friends" she said with a wink.

"Ew fuck off," I laughed "butttttt... could you my hair?"

__

At little after 5, a knock came to my door. Dorcas had already left for the game with Marlene, so I took a calming breath and walked over to the door.

I flung open the door, "Hey!"

"Hey Lily! You look great," he smiled. I knew I looked good tonight. I wore my favorite outfit tonight, a cropped, cream, turtleneck sweater under a black, plaid pinafore dress. Dorcas had braided my hair into two Dutch braids, tied with silver ribbons.

"Thanks, ready to go?"

"Not really."

James

My legs burned. My lungs burned. Everything hurt, but I never felt more alive. The score was currently tied 2-2 with 5 minutes left in the game. Durmstrang was better than we had expected and we were playing sloppily, but I knew we could still beat them.