Chapter 17 : parents

Senior Year: Early November

Sirius

"Simply THINKING about interacting with her and Orion makes me want to jump in front of a car."

"Sirius, don't get me wrong your parents suck, but it won't be that bad," James reasoned.

"Prongs, it's a whole weekend! The few days off I get a week I have to spend with the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkey."

"At least you'll have Regulus, and it's only like two days. Then you can leave Sunday morning and ghost them again until holiday break."

"But I actually have to 'be nice' to her because it's dear old mom's birthday," I complained further. "Speaking of which, I have to get that hag a gift. What says 'once you're old enough I'll put you in a home' ?"

"Ummmm... I personally don't have a lot of experience with hate gifts, but perhaps a scarf?" James replied.

"Hmmm... maybe," I pondered, throwing some clean clothes into the duffel bag James had lent me. Tomorrow was my lovely mother Walburga's birthday and she demanded Reggie and I come home to celebrate with her. It was kind of unfair that I happened to be born only three days before Walburga because she was always too busy planning her elaborate parties to even care about my birthday.

"What if I got her a copy of the Communist Manifesto?" I asked aloud.

"No Sirius, y'know sometimes you are your own worst enemy," James said from across the room.

"What do you mean?"

"You complain about how awful your parents are but all you do is antagonize them," he explained.

I paused, the deodorant I planned to pack hovering over the open duffel. Heat began to flood my face, "God, you sound just like Regulus."

Hearing the anger in my voice James continued, "Sirius don't be petty over this, you know it's true."

I zipped the duffel bag closed and slung it over my shoulder. "Yeah whatever, see you later James."

"Sirius."

Ignoring him, I stomped across the room, grabbing my keys and wallet from my desk. The door slammed closed behind me as I busted into the hall. I pulled out my phone.

Sirius: meet me at the car in 5

Regulus: Okay

Regulus: Do you have a gift for mom yet?

Sirius: no.

I placed my phone back in the pocket of my black jeans. I kinda hoped Remus would be in the hall somewhere. I could use an accidental run in with witty banter right about now. Sadly, after descending the large staircase and walking through the grand front entrance no accidental run ins occured.

Bright sunlight burned my retinas as the fall breeze rustled my hair. If only I had a camera crew to capture this cinematic moment. My car made a beep sound as it unlocked. The metal handle froze my bare fingers. Inside the car was also cold, and my breath fogged up my window. Pushed the start button, warm air immediately melting the chill that seeped in despite my puffy coat. I enjoyed a few seconds of peace before the passenger door was flung open. "Holy shit, it's cold as fuck out there."

I rolled my eyes, "Yes Regulus, it is November in New York after all."

"Can I have aux?" he asked, ignoring my comment.

"Sure I don't care."

"Jeez, what's got you all worked up?" Regulus questioned.

"Nothing."