Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sleep failed to provide solace to Rosie's anxiety that night. Her blankets became matted and her sheets pulled off the mattress as she tossed and turned all night, only catching sleep in brief stints. When her alarm went off in the morning, she welcomed it with relief. Thankfully, the combination of her glasses and concealer covered up the ever darkening bags underneath her eyes. Perhaps she should ask Lisa if the palace had a melatonin she could take. Or even a Benadryl if things grew worse. For now, coffee was most welcome.

She was three minutes late to class that day. It was harder to motivate herself to walk in the cold palace as she nursed her still too hot to drink coffee. Ella probably wouldn't mind. With it being the day before Christmas Eve, she doubted Ella would even be up for much teaching today. Maybe they could just end early and Rosie could sneak away for a long much needed nap before dinner.

Rosie definitely didn't expect to be bombarded by a fierce hug as soon as she walked into the classroom.

"Oof," Rosie gasped, her hand flying to ensure her coffee lid remained secure. She definitely didn't need a repeat of what happened yesterday. "You okay, Ella?"

"I'm so sorry," Ella said, her voice muffled as she spoke into Rosie's shoulder.

"For what?" Rosie asked, slowly patting Ella's back as she scanned the room, assuming the young royal had broken something.

Ella pulled her head back to look at Rosie with a furrowed brow and frown. "Because we literally left you to the wolves."

"Oh!" Rosie's eyes widened. Yeah, that did happen. Why had so much been allowed to happen in barely twelve hours? "Well, you didn't do it intentionally."

"But like you could have died!" Ella said, her eyes still wide and frantic as she held onto Rosie tighter. "And you were all alone in a forest you didn't know. And when Streaky came back to the stables without you, we feared the worse. Then there was that snowstorm and--"

"Hey, hey," Rosie twisted to put down her coffee on her desk so she could hug Ella more properly back. "I'm fine. Nothing bad happened to me."

"But it could have! And--"

"Hey," Rosie ducked down so she was eye level with the now tearing up teenager. "It didn't happen though. And I'm fine. You're fine. Everyone's fine. And even if I weren't, you didn't do anything to intentionally hurt me. If anything, it's a learning experience. You'll know now for next time."

"But--"

"But nothing," Rosie squeezed her tighter. "Everything is okay."

"I'm still so sorry," Ella mumbled.

"You're forgiven and then some," Rosie replied. "Also, I'm sorry too. I think I may have spilled some coffee on you."

Ella gave a watery laugh as she shook her head and let go of Rosie.

"You're too much. Oh also, don't get too close to the window," Ella sniffled as she wiped her nose with the back of her hand. "Aunty Jen is practicing archery."

"Archery? Why?" Rosie asked, peaking out towards the window.

In the snow, the princess stood alone with a bow in her grip and her arm drawn in the slumbering, ice covered garden outside of the window. When she launched her arrow, it fell short, landing in the ground just short of the target. Despite the wall between them blocking any sound, Rosie could almost hear the loud groan of frustration from Jennie as she threw her head back and stomped her boot against the cold ground. A smile tugged at Rosie's lips. The royal looked pretty cute when she was frustrated.