Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Rosie fell asleep on her keyboard with a half-typed email for her sister up on her screen. The one to Sooyoung Choi had been surprisingly easy in comparison since Rosie kept it short and vague with the promise of a great Choi Networks exclusive by the end of it. That is if she wasn't arrested first. Really her plan as of right now was to just leave before the other tutor arrived and prayed that no one bothered to come looking after her. Her boss would probably be even more impressed that way. Alice, on the other hand, was different. She needed direct answers, time frames, and contact numbers when Rosie was away for long periods. Of course, she would be worried with Rosie extending her stay abroad at an undisclosed location. If anything, it sounded almost like the plot of an action movie, so Rosie was sure to include pictures of herself giving a smile and a thumbs up in hopes to sway any anxiety her sister had. Still, that hadn't made writing the email any easier.

When a knock at the door woke her up, Rosie groaned at a certain stiffness in her neck that only came from sleeping on one's keyboard and cracked her back. She staggered to the door when she heard another knock, opening it slightly to peak out bleary eyed at the all too chirper woman standing on the other end.

"Hello, Ms. Son!" the lady beamed. "My name is Lisa, and I'll be attending to you this morning. What would you like for breakfast this morning?"

"Breakfast?" Rosie instantly perked, her stomach grumbling.

"Yes, ma'am! We have overnight oats, hard boiled eggs, homemade oatmeal, Belgian waffles—"

"Waffles!" Rosie cleared her throat. "I mean, waffles would be great."

"Alright, what kind would you prefer?" Lisa asked, grabbing her notebook. "We can add strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips, or pecans."

"All of them sound great!"

"Yes, ma'am, but which would you like?"

"Um, all of them," Rosie repeated more slowly.

Lisa blinked. "All of them?"

"Yes, please. If that's an option." Rosie quickly added. "And maybe another one covered in syrup if that's okay."

"Of course. I just didn't think..." Lisa cleared her throat and put her notepad back in her pocket. "I'll have that up to you shortly, Ms. Son."

"Thank you so much!" Rosie said, closing the door as Lisa walked off.

Perhaps this palace life would be better than she thought.

~~~~

When Rosie first arrived in the study, she feared she was late. The palace had far more doors and hallways than she expected and, of course, she had gotten lost in them as the paintings and vintage interior distracted her. When she finally did stumble into the massive study that her tutoring lessons were to take place, Lady Ella was already sitting at her desk with colored pencils in hand absorbed in her work, not even acknowledging Rosie's presence, her desk and work illuminated by the massive window before her. With a quick glance at her watch to assure her non-tardiness, Rosie cleared her throat and placed her feet at the almost proper curtsy points.

"Your Royal Highness," Rosie greeted with a quick slanted bend of the knee and her elbow hitting against the now closing heavy oak door with a loud bang.

"I am missing half a leg, but I still curtsy better than you," Lady Ella said with a raised eyebrow and shrewd frown. The white winter light from the window behind her only made the teen look more regal, and Rosie pushed down the rising anxiety in her chest as she rubbed her now throbbing elbow.