Chapter 6

Liana yawned as she finished sweeping up the remnants of her client's hair scattered across the floor. It was ten-thirty, and Jenny had just arrived for her morning manicure clients. Normally Jenny's bubbly, happy personality brightened  the salon, but this morning, it was blinding.

"I am making you another coffee," Jenny admonished the moment she'd looked into Liana's bloodshot eyes, and bustled to the back before she could tell her not to. It would be useless. She'd already had more than her normal two. Caffeine wasn't the answer.

Sleep was.

Liana had—as she'd told Tanner she would—spent the night at her salon. This included tidying the supply closet, re-organizing the dye shelf, and then attempting to sleep on the lumpy plaid couch in her overstuffed office.

Where she proceeded to replay the evening in crystal clarity. Going over and over what happened after she found Tanner by his truck. She could still feel the warmth of his arms around her. More than a decade had passed since they'd held each other, and when the hard planes of his chest had met her cheek, it was as if a day hadn't gone by. He was taller, and certainly had more muscle than he did at eighteen, but...

His heartbeat had sounded exactly the same.

That heartbeat had echoed in her head, and she tossed on the damned couch until she couldn't take it anymore. She finally got up around five, and puttered more, preparing for the day's clients, Windexing the mirrors, dusting her Monstera plant in the corner. That plant was going to take over the salon if she wasn't careful. All from a tiny cutting Caitlin had given her when they'd met.

Jenny plunked herself in a chair, handed Liana a steaming mug, and gestured at her. "You. Spill."

Jenny had obviously checked her friend feed this morning. Everyone was talking about the fight, posting their fuzzy phone pictures. Everyone had exclaimed that Tanner put Dermott in his place, and then some.

"Spill what?" Liana asked and leaned the broom on the wall, set the coffee aside and crossed her arms. If she didn't answer her questions now, Jenny would be relentless, and she'd rather discuss it without clients in her shop. But what Jenny wanted her to say, she wasn't sure.

Jenny squared her dark-brown eyes on her and shook her finger. "You didn't tell me you were dating Dermott Nelson!"

"Not dating, we went on two dates. Believe me, there will not be a third."

"Why not? He's ruggedly handsome, has money—I think—a nice spread outside town, security.... Oozes that bad-boy asshole gene that women just swoon for, what's not to love?"

"I didn't get the memo about the asshole part, or maybe I did and was blinded by his biceps?" Liana groaned. That was a better explanation than she was lonely and he'd simply asked.

Jenny laughed and leapt out of the chair. All five foot one of her bounded over and grabbed Liana around the waist and hugged. "I'm sorry he was true to his nature. Someday he'll find a woman that will set him straight. Maybe... Oh hell. Likely not. He'll end up going to Vegas with some buddies and marry a cocktail waitress wearing a giant wig with three kids she'll drag back up here to live on his ranch and they'll be unhappy ever after!"

"You are ridiculous," Liana replied, but laughed as well and hugged her back. It felt good to make fun of the situation. But... Jenny had not asked the question Liana knew she was dying to ask.

"Out with it you pint sized drama queen," she added after Jenny let her go and picked up her coffee, slurping loudly while eyeballing Liana expectantly.

"So the reason there was a fist-fight between Dermott and a certain Tanner West is because..."

She may as well be truthful. Jenny was sweet, and she liked to gossip—most folks who worked in the beauty industry did—but Jenny was never malicious about it. Her parents also ran the diner, and heard and saw it all in town. She'd have to steer clear for a few days until something new caught everyone's attention.