Chapter 19

Jenny was singing off-key to a nineties pop song, sweeping up around the salon. Liana was staring off into space, mentally checking out for a moment from balancing out the register from the morning for Jenny's tips. They'd just had lunch, which was quickly heated noodle cups and some strawberries Jenny had brought in. Liana was starving, and she reached for a box of Garlic Cheez It crackers, stuffing a handful into her mouth.

She refocused on her spreadsheet. They'd done well this morning in tips. It would more than pay for the groceries Liana desperately needed at her apartment, and then some.

"When are you gonna tell me why you're off in outer space?" Jenny said, startling Liana from her concentration. Crackers went flying, clattering to the floor,and Jenny laughed as Liana's face heated. Slapping her hands on the counter, Jenny crowed "You have a secret, I know it!"

"I'm just tired. Yesterday was really scary and long. I didn't get home from the hospital 'til late" Liana replied, dumping a handful of spilt crackers into the garbage.

Jenny made a noise in her throat and leaned on the counter, her sweeping forgotten. "I can imagine. Brady's a tough guy, he'll be back in the saddle in no time."

"He's damned lucky," Liana said. "Caitlin was beside herself. You know some of the story why. I doubt Brady will have the same problems that Abel did, but—"

"Oh my God, right! I forgot about that. Jesus, poor woman. Are you headed back to her tonight to help?" Jenny said.

Liana waved her hands. "Nah, no need. They're keeping him another day for observation. Plus, you know the Wests. Circle the wagons and all that. Caitlin is in good hands there. She'll call if she needs me."

Jenny tilted her head and observed Liana, drumming her fingernails on the counter. She waited for the question. Jenny could see right through her. She supposed it was also the carefully tied scarf to cover the red marks on her neck that might have also given it away.

"Does that late night involve Brady's grumpy-assed brother, by any chance?"

"Jenny," Liana warned.

"I can imagine he needed comfort, finding his brother in the truck like that," Jenny wheedled. "But I get it, that is private. But, I will say, if it is what I think it is, good girl. Tanner's got an ass you can bounce quarters off. I bet it has lots of... ahh... power."

Liana thunked her head onto her desk and groaned. "Jesus Jenny!" and then burst into laughter. Jenny started singing again, this time somewhat on key, and picked up her broom.

Liana's next client arrived, and she went to work, putting all thoughts other than cutting hair out of her head. It was therapeutic, diving into her process, like a forced meditation of sorts. By the time she took her next break, hours had passed, four clients had come and gone, and the light was waning outside. She was done. Her feet ached, her back was as stiff as a board, and her fingers were cramping.

As she was straightening out the back prep sink and wiping down the faucets, she caught herself in the mirror. Despite how tired she felt, she had pink in her cheeks, and she looked... rested, maybe? She'd not really paid attention to herself other than to very quickly shower this morning, swipe on makeup and put her hair up. Turning both ways in the mirror, she tucked some strands back up into her hair clip. Her mouth looked fuller too, immediately remembering Tanner's lips on her, and last night's incredible sex.

"I'll settle up with you tomorrow, okay? I need to get over to the diner. We're short tonight," Jenny called out from the front.

"Okay. Are you sure? I can cash you out now," Liana called, ending her train of thought, and walked out to where Jenny was packing up.