Chapter 16

"They're either really dumb, or really desperate to abandon this in such an open location," Shaun remarked as he shon his flashlight on the front bumper of the truck. Tanner stood with him, hands in his pockets, contemplating the exact same thing.

Shaun had radioed for a tow truck, and sent in the VIN to check stolen vehicles. He'd taken some brief notes, and Tanner had helped him clear some snow to get to the tow bars on the front.

"I need to get her home, do you need anythin' more from me?" Tanner asked, thumbing back at the car, where Liana was still sitting.

"No, no. we're fine. I'll make a quick set of notes from what you told me," Shaun said. "But this doesn't feel right."

"Nope," Tanner replied.

"Alright. Tell Brady I hope he mends quick."

"Will do. Thanks again," Tanner said and turned for the car. Liana perked up as she saw him. What was he going to do about the woman sitting in the passenger seat of her car? He wanted to take her home to the ranch, carry her into his room and finish what they'd just started in the car.

Which was the stupidest idea in the world. She had responded to him, had indicated she wanted him just as much but when push came to shove, what did it mean after the fact? He hesitated before he got back in. It still felt so damned weird to be playing this game with her, attraction warring with the memories, familiarity and hurt butting heads. But as she smiled a small smile, lust gave him a kick in the jewels and his brain reminded him of how much he wanted her.

"Dammit," he muttered, and got into the car.

"All good?"

He nodded. "They'll tow it back. We'll know more tomorrow."

She sat back, hummed an uh huh and he put the car in reverse, waving to Shaun who was greeting the tow truck driver arriving at the same time. The clock on the dash glowed nine pm as they headed up the road, back towards Brightside.

"You okay to drive home from the ranch? It's getting late."

"Not a spring chicken, cowboy. I am capable of driving in the dark," she replied, and settled a hand on his thigh. She used to do that in his old Chevy one-tonne rig. Would sit in the middle seat, head on his shoulder, hand on his thigh as they drove. He let out his breath slowly so he could hide what her touch was doing to him.

More silence, and she turned up the radio. The lights of Brightside came into view, and Tanner drove around Main street to skirt up to the road back to the ranch. Liana sighed and stretched out her legs.

"Tired?" he asked as she leaned the seat back and closed her eyes.

"Exhausted."

He wondered if he could convince her to stay the night. He didn't want her driving so tired. Was it selfish of him to be preoccupied with her, instead of Brady? Finding that truck made him wonder if Dermott was escalating. Fist fighting seemed to be the worst that idiot would get into, and running someone off the road was deadly. Dermott was not that dumb.

In the next breath, he reminded himself that they didn't know whose truck that was, and he needed to stop jumping to conclusions. His brain was stubborn though. He had no idea what Dermott was capable of, he didn't really know him anymore. High school was a long time ago.

The prickle of thinking he was the reason his brother was in the hospital went over his scalp as he turned onto Cattail road. Brady had been seriously hurt today. He's almost lost him. The idea of Liana being next was—

"Hey."

Tanner glanced over at Liana, who was patting his leg to get his attention.

"What?" he asked.